Trilogy of Devil Mountain / 3

Trilogy of Devil Mountain / 3

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Djablo Overview Hellish

They say that Devil has arrived in Aosta Valley as illegal immigrant. Then has become a Lord, Mr. Le Diable, and stood on Mountain. History begins with the early Middle Ages, and with the arrival of the Christians, because before in this valley inhabited only the Salassians, then the Romans and some Barbarian Visigoth or Lombard, but only in passing. With them they came also friars, monks, priests and bishops, and even some a Cardinal. But in all this hubbub infiltrated around so that the Salassi preferred to have himself transferred as Slaves to Eporedia, Romans returned to Urbs, Visigoths and Lombards were scattered down the Padania (Po Valley) and in Augusta Praetoria Salassorum remained only the Religious Men. But the latter had brought with them a bad Disease, which often can not be seen but then you hear. That of the Devil ...



Occasionally itself transforms to Lightning, ihat's why it is always painted in Red


Raccontano che il Diavolo sia arrivato in Val d'Aosta come emigrante clandestino. Poi é diventato un Signore, Monsieur Le Diable, e s'è collocato sulle sue Montagne.
La Storia inizia con il Primo Medioevo e con l'arrivo dei Cristiani, perché prima in questa Valle abitavano soltanto Salassi, poi i Romani e qualche Barbaro Visigoto o Longobardo, ma esclusivamente di passaggio. Con loro arrivarono anche Frati, Monaci, Preti e poi Vescovi ed anche qualche Cardinale. Ma in tutto questo bailamme si infiltrò di tutto tanto che i Salassi preferirono farsi trasferire come Schiavi ad Eporedia, i Romani tornarono all'Urbe, Visigoti e Longobardi si sparsero giù per la Padania e ad Augusta Praetoria Salassorum rimasero sol Uomin Religiosi. Sti ultimi però s'erano portati dietro 'na brutta Malattia, che spesso non si vede ma poi, purtroppo, si sente. Quella del Diavolo ...



He had stealthily arrived from Fenêtre Durand or by the Great St. Bernard Pass?


They say that it was arrived from the Fenêtre Durand where he had fled with the name of Calvin. But they are only of the complete bales, the result of ignorance popular because here Calvin was passed in March 1536 by fleeing to Switzerland (so much so that it is also called Window of Calvin), while this Mr. Devil roamed here for some various Centuries. Or then he had come through the Great Saint Bernard Pass? Um, difficult because the pace was already monitored by the Hospice's Monks since Year in 1000 when Saint Bernard of Menton let go, first distinguished guest in 1077, the Emperor Henry IV° with the Empress towards Canossa. Before there was a total brothel and mess with the Roman Legions, Longobard Armies, Bernard uncle of Charlemagne, Frederick Barbarossa and the Popes Stephen II°, Leo IX° and Eugene III°. Too much mess even for the Devil, showing, dress wanderer, a stealthy tread. As in La Clusaz. But they say from the Savoy that was joined by Mont Maudit, in fact for those of Courmayeur, always with the nose upwards to look at him searching the picture of the Devil, that is represented, while those of the Chamonix rubbed the true Summit and the borders of Mont Blanc. But then what is the Real Truth of the origin of the Devil Mountains of Aosta Valley going from one valley to another, from a promontory or in a gorge at the other? It is not known.
The fact is that he started to wander around countries and towns, combining disasters here and there ...



Or he had entered furtively down the Fenêtre Durand or Calvin Window?


Dicean fosse arrivato dal Fenêtre Durand dove s'era rifugiato col nome di Calvino. Ma son soltanto delle belle balle, frutto dell'ignoranza popolare perché Calvino era qui transitato nel Marzo 1536 scappando in Isvizzera (tanto che si chiama anche Finestra di Calvino), mentre questo Signor Diavolo ormai girava per di qua già da qualche Secolo. Allora era giunto attraverso il Colle del Gran San Bernardo? Umhh. difficile perché il passo era già vigilato dall'Ospizio dei Monaci fino dall'Anno 1000 quando San Bernardo di Mentone lasciò passare, primo ospite illustre nel 1077, l'Imperatore Enrico IV° con l'Imperatrice per andar giù far penitenza a Canossa. Prima esisteva una confusione totale con Legioni Romane, esercito Longobardo, Bernardo zio di Carlo Magno, persin il Federico Barbarossa ed i Papi Stefano II°, Leone IX° ed Eugenio III°. Gran casino anche pel Diavolo, che si mostra, vestito da viandante, con passo rusé e furtivo. Come a La Clusaz. Ma quelli della Savoia dicon fosse entrato dal Mont Maudit che in effetti per quelli di Courmayeur, sempre col naso in sù a guardarlo, lo rappresentatava qual vero Demonio, mentre quelli di Chamonix gli fregavan la Cima del Bianco ed i giusti confini di frontiera. Ma allora quale é la Vera Verità della provenienza del Diavolo sulle Montagne della Valle di Aosta passando da una valle all'altra, da un promontorio al successivo e da un Orrido all'altro? Non si sà.
Stà di fatto che iniziò a gironzolare per paesi e città, combinando disastri qua e là ...



While in Courmayeur looked on Maudit, Chamonix stole Mont Blanc

Le Diable du Cuney

"Complicated" Story, that originates really, directly since the year 1000, when even the Valais Shepherds had taken refuge in this basin until the "End fel World".
Catholic Religion were the first to build a small oratory dedicated to "Our Lady of the Heights" in what will become the Sanctuary highest in Europe. But let's calm: a landslide destroyed at that time and the same is "saved" only a tiny wooden statue of primitive art of the Ninth Century. The event "miraculous" upset the same that carried by the Dominican Fathers of Nus, which held up to that time the Church of Lignan. But the Little Statue returned, like Miracle, three times a Cuney, for which thing in 1650 the Dominican Priest Onorio decided to rebuild the ancient oratory, up there under the Becca del Merlo. In 1661 the same, struck by the great visitation of the people, he decided to transform the same into a Chapel with an altar to celebrate Mass and the same, on the orders of the Bishop of Aosta Alberto Bailly, is dedicated to "Our Lady of the Snows" complete with a little statue. But the Devil (Time) also destroyed this Chapel and the Parish Priest of St: Barthélemy, Pierre Jean Tutel, invited the locals to build a small Church stronger and resistant against bad weather. The Archdeacon Luigi Porliod he completed the work and 23 August 1869 was consecrated by Bishop Jans. In 1927 and 1928 Don Pantaleone Petran, Pastor of Lignan, with the inhabitants have built the sacristy and improved the same with rustic decorations religious inwardly, while the main altar has remained unchanged since the distant 1661. The Celebration, as throughout the Valley of Aosta dedicated to the "Madonna of the Snows", occurs on August 5th of each year.
The Devil is avenged everything disappearing with a landslide the ancient lake that once stood in nearby moraine South, reducing the same in miserable puddle ...




The Devil He has collapsed the tiny lake at the Cuney's Shrine


Istoria "complicata" traente l'origini addirittura dall'anno 1000
, quando i Pastori del Vallese s'eran rifugiati in questo bacino in attesa della "Fine del Mondo".
Di Religione Cattolica sono stati i primi a costruire un piccolo Oratorio dedicato alla "Madonna delle Altezze" in quello che diverrà il Santuario più alto d'Europa. Ma andiam con calma: una frana distrusse a quei tempi il medesimo e si "salvò" esclusivamente una statuetta in legno d'arte primitiva del IX° Secolo. L'evento "miracoloso" sconvolse i medesimi che la trasportarono dai Padri Domenicani di Nus, reggenti a quell'epoca la Chiesa di Lignan. Ma la Statuina ritornò, come per Miracolo, ben tre volte al Cuney, per la qual cosa nel 1650 il Padre Domenicano Onorio decise di ricostruire l'antico Oratorio, lassù sotto la Becca del Merlo. Nel 1661 il medesimo, colpito dall'enorme visitazione della gente, decise di trasformare lo stesso in una Cappella con tanto di altare onde celebrare la Messa e la stessa, su ordine del Vescovo di Aosta Alberto Bailly, fù dedicata alla "Madonna delle Nevi" con tanto di piccola statua. Ma il Diavolo (Tempo) distrusse anche questa Cappella ed il Parroco di St. Barthélemy, Pierre Jean Tutel, invitò i locali a costruire una Chiesetta più solida e resistente contro le intemperie. L'Arcidiacono Luigi Porliod portò a termine l'opera ed il 23 Agosto 1869 avvenne la consacrazione da parte di Monsignor Jans. Nel 1927 e 1928 Don Pantaleone Petran, Parroco di Lignan, fece costruire la sagrestia e migliorò la stessa con rustiche decorazioni religiose all'interno, mentre l'altare maggiore é rimasto inalterato sin dal lontano 1661. La Festa, come in tutta la Valle d'Aosta nei confronti della "Nostra Signora delle Nevi", ivi ricorre il 5 d'Agosto d'ogni anno.
Il Diavolo s'é vendicato di tutto ciò facendo sparire con una frana l'antico lago che sorgeva nella vicina morena Meridionale, riducendolo a ben misera pozzanghera ...

Lo Dzablo de Machabby

Having tormented those of Nus and Saint Barthélemy, the Devil decided to move to "Low Valley". He had heard that there were plans to build an Astronomical Observatory in Lignan and worried him much, in fact, could not bear to be watched and spied and wanted no one was going to stick his nose in his misdeeds. Past or future, because in the end he was a Devil very private. In fact, when it intervened, the People would notice it always late. To be understood in advance of his intentions just did not like a genius, so for his things. and he packed his bags. He changed his unicorn with a mule mountain because the promontory where he moved required precise capacity of crossing on the rocks and walked toward cliffs that fall sheer into the valley floor, thinking of a healthy and relaxing holiday without Priests and Friars in the middle of the foots or trying to pull his tail. After all it was only a "Poor Devil" who sought only to avoid strife, confusion and Popular Mass and if you disturb it inevitably takes revenge. As it is capable of doing.
Amongst the Commons of Verrès, Arnad and Donnas or Donnaz, we find the ancient Sanctuary Machaby of 1000 (696m) located just above the village of the same name and built by the Benedictine Monks. It is from Arnad or Arnaz and is dedicated to "Our Lady of the Snows". A legend and folklore claim that Our Lady was kept in a more ancient Oratory-Sanctuary at Col Finestra (1671m), between the Croix Corma and Monte Rosso and above Perloz and Lillianes small Municipalities. Always the legend of a fight between those of Arnaz and residents of Perloz with the latter distroying the Oratory stealing the statue and hiding in a cave, where due to a strong storm took shelter the shepherds of La Cou finding the same. So La Cou Machaby and was renamed in 1300 to it was built a primitive Chapel, as the documents of Prince Thomas II° of Savoy. The terrible flood of Baltea in 1408, nearly destroying the Abbey and Church of Arnaz 1020, forced the inhabitants to seek shelter here looking for salvation. After these terrible extraordinarily unpredictable events, it became a place of worship and pilgrimage, became in 1503 the Sanctuary and in 1689 Church with three naves. A success for the Clergy!
This is the Legend, which then has become Tradition, but that does not match the Historical Truth. We have carried out investigations in the field both in Perloz that Arnad and that this is coming out. Each country has its own servant, his Perpetua, squirming from the desire to tell the story of others. So the result is easy to learn about the right course of events. The rest, as the quotation of historical facts with relative dating, has served only to throw dust in the eyes. Do not be fooled, and you instead listen to the Voice of Truth. The Devil, tired of all these quarrels which broke the Peace of the Mountains and all these Priests and Pilgrims who only fomented hatred and rivalry, decided to destroy the Sanctuary. Then, being clever as the Devil, decided to shift the blame, as always happens, upon the weaker and persuaded a poor "beiciullet" (little shepherd) to hide the statue in a cave-ravine and promised him that he enlarged his pastures and multiplied his flock of sheep and goats. The naive, but greedy pastor, was persuaded and ended his work and everyone agrees, as you have read above, to give him all the credit but also all the blame. No one dared to mention or blame the devil because, you know, the Mighty are scary at all. Since then it seems that the Devil is gone and moved on the other side of the Dora Baltea. But having met the Fortress of Bard, who had stopped even Napoleon, he was forced to climb the Champorcher Valley until you reach the bottleneck of Pontboset ...



Beelzebub hid Madonna statue in a cave between Arnad & Perloz


Dopo avere tormentato quelli di Nus e Saint Barthélemy, il Diavolo decise di trasferirsi in "Bassa Valle". Aveva sentito dire ch'era in progetto la costruzione d'un Osservatorio Astronomico a Lignan e la cosa lo preoccupava assai, infatti non sopportava d'esser guardato né spiato desiderando che nessun andasse a ficcar naso nelle sue malefatte. Passate o future, perché alla fin fine lui era un Diavolo molto riservato. Infatti, quando interveniva, la Gente se ne accorgeva sempre in ritardo. D'esser anticipato nelle sue intenzioni proprio non gli andava a genio, per cui fece le valige. Cambiò il suo unicorno con un mulo di montagna perché il promontorio dove si traferiva richiedeva precise capacità d'attraversare le rocce e si incamminò verso quelle alte pareti rocciose, che cadono a strapiombo sul fondovalle, pensando ad una sana e rilassante vacanza senza aver né Preti né Frati in mezzo ai piedi o a cercare di tirargli la coda. In fondo era soltanto un "Povero Diavolo" che cercava esclusivamente di evitar liti, confusioni e la Popolar Massa.
Tra i Comuni di Verrès, Arnad, Donnas o Donnaz, troviamo l'antico Santuario di Machaby del 1000 (696 m) collocato subito sopra l'omonimo Villaggio e costruito dai Frati Benedettini. Si raggiunge dal Comune di Arnad o Arnaz ed é dedicato alla "Madonna delle Nevi". Una Leggenda e la Tradizione Popolare affermano che la Madonna fosse custodita in un più antico Oratorio-Santuario del Col Finestra (1671 m), tra la Croix Corma ed il Monte Rosso e sopra i Comuni di Perloz e Lillianes. Sempre la Leggenda racconta d'una lite tra quelli d'Arnaz e gli abitanti di Perloz con questi ultimi che distrussero l'Oratorio trafugandone la statua e nascondendola in una caverna, dove a causa di un forte temporale si ripararono i pastori di La Cou ritrovando la medesima. Così La Cou venne ribattezzata in Machaby e verso il 1300 fù eretta una Primaria Cappella, come dai documenti del Principe Tommaso II° di Savoia. La terribile alluvione della Dora Baltea del 1408, quasi distruggendo l'Abbazia e la Chiesa di Arnaz del 1020, obbligò gli abitanti a qui riparar cercandone salvezza. Dopo sti terribili e straordinari fatti, divenuto luogo di culto e di pellegrinaggio, diventò nel 1503 Santuario e nel 1689 Chiesa con tre navate.
Questa é la Leggenda, che poi é diventata Tradizione, ma che non corrisponde alla Verità Storica. Abbiamo svolto delle indagini in loco sia ad Arnad che a Perloz e questa é venuta fuori. Ogni paese ha la sua servetta, la sua Perpetua, che freme dalla voglia di raccontare i fatti altrui. Così é risultato facile venire a conoscenza del giusto svolgimento dei fatti. Il resto, come la citazione di fatti storici con relativa datazione, é servito esclusivamente per gettare fumo negli occhi. Non fatevi ingannare ed ascoltate la Voce della Verità. Il Diavolo, stanco di tutte queste "querelles" che rompevano la Pace dei Monti e di tutti questi Preti e Pellegrini che fomentavano solo odio e rivalità, decise di distruggere il Santuario. Poi, essendo furbo come il Diavolo, decise di addossare la colpa, come sempre succede, al più debole e convinse un povero "beiciullet" (pastorello) a nascondere la statua in un anfratto promettendo a lui che avrebbe ingrandito i suoi pascoli e moltiplicato il suo gregge di pecore e capre. L'ingenuo, ma avido pastore, si lasciò convincere e compì l'opera e tutti son daccordo, come avete già letto sopra, ad attribuire a lui ogni merito ma anche tutte le colpe. Nessuno osava citare od incolpare il Diavolo perché, si sa, i Potenti fan paura a tutti. Par che il Diavolo sia sparito trasferendosi sull'altra sponda della Dora. Ma avendo incontrato il Forte di Bard, che aveva fermato anche il Napoleone, venne costretto a risalire la Valle di Champorcher ...

Lo Djablo du Ratus

While goes up by mule to Pont-Bozet, the Devil looked at the Fort. It looks like a diabolical opera but he was not so sure, because he did not see the true and real Devilish Copyright. He was convinced that it was an elaboration of the men and, not seeing this time nor Friars or Priests, began to suspect that it was full of Soldiers and Cannons. A shiver of fear ran down his back coming to the end of the long and supple tail. He is taken to goad with its sharp hooves and double the sides of the mule inviting him to increase his pace. Then he drew from his coat double-faced, red and black as the colors of this Region, the Lens of Time. Now it was all clear. It had been built recently. The men would say in the X° Century, which for him meant nothing. From a certain Ottone of Bard the House of Lorraine and, after his death, he was contested between his two sons Hugh and William. He knew them all and I had seen them walk in Hell. He continued to refer to this kind of Computer and appeared a bishop, Oberto Ivrea, a Duke Amedeo of Savoy IV°, and a Prince Carlo Emanuele II°, who in 1661, age of men, had knocked down the same by building a defensive Fortress. To guard against those who thought the Devil. He turned on his Search and He discovered the truth. It was a real mess, because this valley passed all the Armies of this world. A smell of horses and a powder beastly who had made that no longer grew even a blade of grass. It was not the fault of Attila and the Huns that were passed by Great Lords, cutting only a some heads. He began to worry because the Lens of Time had disconnected and then had no line. He saw only a big fuss that it boded him no good. So He decided to stop, before meeting against some Armies Russian, Spanish, Austrian, French or Piemontese, into the first country, in the first hole that could worthily accommodate a Devil. He arrived in Pont-Bozet, which in those days was called Pontboset, and decided the alt. The environment was not bad with a large rock face, they called Mont Charvatton, just above the village on which occasionally hurled boulders, so that the poor 186 inhabitants had fled building houses in a narrow rocky gorge suspended above the wild Torrent de Ayasse. A place to make really envy at the best Hell! But then, looking around, she had begun to see Churches and Votive Chapels, and even in the Chapel of Gond a wooden altar, became a National Monument. Besides they also had a Patron Saint, San Grato, and partying with him on September 7. Informations taken, above it was even worse, because in the Valley of Brenve erected in 1700 the Shrine of King Temple dedicating it to "Our Lady of the Visitation" and doing its festival on July 2. Later we proceed in the Champorcher Valley and over and more the situation degraded. There they had everything and even the Savoy with their "Toio King of Italy" pulling shots in chamois and ibex. Imagine against the Devil! And the more we went upwards and was worse, so much so that at the Lake Miserin in 1658 had built another Shrine, this time for "Notre-Dame-des-Neiges" partying on August 5th. People not serious, he thought, there is no month that are not party. Disappointed, he retired under an impressive waterfall in half an hour from the chief-town on the way to the Crest and into an area full of rhododendrons that said L'Echellier. He hid between the waterfall and the rock in the Gorge of Ratus, where you can go only during snowmelt. It was added to a major "Gallery of Gorges" along with "Goille of Pourtset" in Champorcher, the "Gouffre de Guillemore" in Fontainemore and the "Three Golilles de Hône". But he preferred to talk to Astaroth down in Pont St. Martin, tried, as the documents into State Archives Turin, by Father Serra of Vigliano in 1601.
But it is another story that we will tell you another time ...



Demon changed his name to Ratus hiding itself in a horrid Ravine


Mentre risaliva a dorso di mulo verso Pont-Bozet, il Diavolo guardava il Forte. Era già passato da quelle parti un Due o Tre Mila anni prima ma non esisteva niente. All'apparenza sembrava un'opera diabolica ma non ne era tanto sicuro, anche perché non vedeva il Copyright. Si convinse che era un'elaborazione degli uomini e, non vedendo questa volta né Frati né Preti, incominciò a sospettare che fosse pieno di Soldati e Cannoni. Un brivido di paura gli corse lungo la schiena arrivando fino al termine della lunga e flessuosa coda. Prese a pungolare con i suoi zoccoli appuntiti e doppi i fianchi del mulo invitandolo ad aumentare la sua andatura. Poi estrasse dal suo mantello double face, rosso e nero come i colori di questa Regione, la Lente del Tempo. Adesso era tutto chiaro. Era stato costruito poco tempo prima. Gli uomini direbbero nel X° Secolo, cosa che per lui non significava nulla. Da un certo Ottone di Bard del Casato di Lorena e, dopo la sua morte, era stato conteso tra i suoi due figli Ugo e Gugliemo. Li conosceva tutti e li aveva visti andar a spasso all'Inferno. Continuò a consultare questa specie di Computer ed apparve un Vescovo, Oberto di Ivrea, un Duca, Amedeo IV° di Savoia, ed un Principe, Carlo Emanuele II°, che nel 1661, età degli uomini, lo aveva fatto abbattere costruendo una Fortezza difensiva. Per difendersi da chi, pensò il Diavolo. Azionò il suo Search e uscì la verità. Era un vero casino, perché da questa valle passavano tutte le Armate di questo mondo. Una puzza di cavalli ed una polvere bestiale che avevano fatto si che non crescesse più neppur un fil d'erba. E non era colpa di Attila e degli Unni ch'eran transitati da Gran Signori, tagliando soltanto qualche testa. Prese a preoccuparsi anche perché la Lente del Tempo s'era disconnessa e quindi non aveva più linea. Vedeva solo un gran polverone che non gli faceva presagir proprio nulla di buono. Così decise di fermarsi, prima di imbattersi in qualche Armata Russa, Spagnola, Austriaca, Francese o Piemontese, nel primo paese che incontrava, nel primo buco che poteva degnamente ospitare un Diavolo. Arrivò a Pont-Bozet, che a quei tempi si chiamava Pontboset, e decise di fermarsi. L'ambiente non era malino con una grande parete rocciosa, che chiamavano Mont Charvatton, proprio sopra il villaggio sul quale ogni tanto lanciava dei macigni, tanto che i poveri 186 abitanti s'eran rifugiati costruendo le case in una stretta ed angusta gola rocciosa sospesa sopra il selvaggio Torrent de Ayasse. Un posto da far veramente invidia al miglior Inferno! Però poi, guardandosi intorno, aveva incominciato a veder Chiese e Cappelle Votive e perfino nella Cappella del Gond un altare ligneo, diventato Monumento Nazionale. Poi avevano anche un Santo Patrono, San Grato, e con lui facevan festa il 7 di Settembre d'ogni anno. Prese informazioni. Sopra era ancor peggio, perché nel Vallone di Brenve avevan eretto nel 1700 il Santuario di Re Tempio dedicandolo a "Nostra Signora della Visitazione" e facendo la relativa festa il 2 di Luglio. Più avanti si procedeva nella Valle di Champorcher e più la situazione degradava. Lì avevano di tutto ed anche i Savoia che con il loro Re Toio" tirava scoppiettate a camosci e stambecchi. Figuriamoci al Diavolo! E più si saliva e peggio era, tanto che al Miserin nel 1658 avevano costruito un altro Santuario, questa volta per "Notre-Dame-des-Neiges" facendo festa il 5 di Agosto. Gente poco seria, pensò, non c'é mese che non faccian festa. Deluso, si ritirò sotto un imponente cascata a mezz'ora dal centro abitato sulla strada per il Crest ed una zona ricca di rododendri detta L'Echellier. Si nascose tra la cascata e la roccia nell'Orrido del Ratus, dove si può passare soltanto durante lo scioglimento delle nevi. Venne a pieno merito inserito in un'importante "Galleria degli Orridi" insieme alla "Goille di Pourtset" a Champorcher, alla "Gouffre de Guillemore" a Fontainemore ed alle "Tre Golilles de Hône" logicamente ad Hône. Ma preferiva da lassù, dal suo nascondiglio, furtivamente dialogare con il suo Buon Amico Astarotte giù a Pont Saint Martin, processato, come dai documenti dell'Archivio di Stato in Torino, dall'Esorcista Padre Serra di Vigliano nel 1601.
Ma é altra Storia che vi racconteremo in altra propizia occasione ...


Comments

No comments posted yet.