Monster In The Woods

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.43310°N / 122.2939°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 1999
Activities Activities: Aid Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Turkey MonsterShirley jugging P1 of Dod Route.

2006

Shirley and I have done the approach to the base of the 350-foot Turkey Monster tower last October when upon laying eyes on the Monster I lost my desire to climb & we went home under the pretense of not having sufficient gear. As a bonus, I got tagged on the jaw by a yellowjacket. That made for some solid memories.
TaggedFond Memories

2007

With shitty weather being forecasted for all of Washington, we decided to head south and give the Monster another go. This time, we were joined by our friend Pat from San Diego who was going to try his newly developed jugging skills.
Don t Drop The ChalupaJugging Lesson

Gearing Up For The MonsterGearing Up For The Monster

Given our experience from the previous fall, the approach two days ago went quickly. The bushwhack to the base is not terrible though the very last part is steep and so we fixed a line and rapped in (figuring we'd be done late). With the exception of the last pitch (low 5th slab), we aided the entire line. Aid was hammerless though I did use a cheater stick on P1 to get past a blank section (since my head was not into stepping out of the aiders). With exception of one new-ish looking bolt above the crack section on P1 and one very new bolt at P2 belay (Tyler? Much thanks!!!), all other fixed gear was as one would expect. We ran P1 and P2 together given the condition of fixed belay anchors atop P1.
Turkey MonsterLeading P1 & P2

Rope drag was horrendous enough to notice even from the safety of the aiders. The crack at start of P2 proper does have some loose rock around it however it seems like you can get some bomber large cams in good rock. The real scary part was actually midway up P2 where the left side of the chossy crack is formed by a huge flake. Each time I'd gently step up onto a cam, I could almost feel it expanding (probably my imagination). Shirley cleaned and Pat jugged a free rope.
Turkey MonsterP2

We used the lower of two belay stances (can see both from Turkey Point on approach) atop P2 where much gear was used to supplement the old bolts.
P3 is a super steep headwall on some very manky "bolts" (even by standards of P1) but none are missing.
Turkey MonsterP3 "Bolt" Ladder
Turkey MonsterP2 Belay

Bolt LadderP3 "Bolt" Ladder

Turkey MonsterP3 "Bolt" Ladder

Highlight of the pitch is a 0.5" hangerless stud with a slight downward orientation. Cheating past this point is not an option really as the "bolts" (seems like nails with tinfoil hangers, some nicely oxidized) feature tiny openings and getting a biner through takes some finagling.

Belay bolts at base of low 5th slab atop P3 were all old and so I continued to a sling belay 6 feet below the summit. Bleached tat was replaced - not sure when was the last time this summit had been visited but judging by the tat, it must've been a while? Shirley cleaned this pitch as well and Pat took a wild swing out of the belay into space when his turn to jug came. Given our lazy start from trailhead, the slowness of my leading, and the cluster f..ks at belays (not used to climbing with 3 people) the sun was getting low by the time we started rigging the rappels on the summit.
Turkey MonsterShirley on Summit

Turkey MonsterDaddy on Summit


We used double 70 meter ropes. The first rap went from the summit back to our belay midway up the tower. Now this thing is really overhung - I expected to drop down below the summit slab and clip a few "bolts" on the headwall to keep myself near the wall. To my dismay, I discovered that I was not able to reach any bolts below the lip and (of course) the ends of the 70 meter lines were still dangling a significant distance above ground. I rapped till I was level with the upper P2 belay where I used a cheater stick to snag some tat and pull myself into the wall. This required some good timing as I was about 6 feet away from the wall and rotating back and forth like an idiot. I clipped the tat (as well as another piece or two below) and was able to then reach the lower P2 station where the mank had been reinforced by one new bolt.
Turkey MonsterPat near summit.

Turkey MonsterSteep Rap

The ropes (thankfully) pulled without additional excitement. One more double rope rap brought us back to earth.

It was dark by the time our junk was packed and Shirley started jugging the fixed line back up the slope. A moment of excitement came as the line dislodged a two-fist-sized rock and it came hurtling through darkness impacting two feet away from my torso. At that point I reminded my wife that we had a joint mortgage in our names and no life insurance policy. The uphill bushwhack was painful but uneventful. Thoughts of going to Smith on Sunday were nixed and we drove home stopping for a nap followed by breakfast at a Sherrys in Lebanon (?) at 3 in the morning.

As a side note, this was our friend Pat's first time climbing in the Pacific Northwest and (other than some 25 foot practice run up a tree in a Portland park) his first time using jummars. Also, I'm not sure what the modern aid rating for this line is - if I were to guess, C2F? But who knows which of the fixed gear is capable of stopping a fall. It felt more serious than the Northeast Face on Steins Pillar (TR here) which has accumulated many new-looking bolts (another Oregon classic). In summary, I found this to be a great fun adventure outing but I've always liked these sorts of things.

Many thanks to Jim Anglin (Rest In Peace) and Tyler on cascadeclimbers.com for beta on this thing.

350-Foot Monstrosity

Turkey Monster


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-19 of 19
corvallis

corvallis - Aug 30, 2007 4:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Awsome!

Great write up Radek!

rpc

rpc - Aug 30, 2007 4:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awsome!

thank you very much Tyler - appreciate the good word.
sent you a pm on the Menagerie closure/trespassing thing - lemme know.

Nigel Lewis

Nigel Lewis - Aug 30, 2007 7:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!!

Gorgeous looking piece of rock!

N

rpc

rpc - Aug 30, 2007 7:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!!

Thank you very much Nigel! A great adventure climb on an amazing spire!

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Sep 2, 2007 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Freakin' awesome

Understated as usual. Great story and pics. Thanks for sharing!

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Freakin' awesome

Thank you very much Bob for the kind word! & thank you for having my TR on front page (I guess that's directed at the elves collectively :)

Moni

Moni - Sep 2, 2007 9:42 pm - Voted 10/10

That's one

crazy looking tower!

Thanks for the report!

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: That's one

Thank you very much Moni! I think this has got to be one of the craziest-shaped towers out there...perhaps with exception of Totem Pole (off limits) or Standing Rock in Canyonlands.

rickford

rickford - Sep 3, 2007 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

What a pleasure!

Ya'll had quite an adventure baggin' that there Turkey Monster!

Good work (both on the climb and the report) and as always, thanks for sharing!

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What a pleasure!

Thank you very much Rick!

mvs

mvs - Sep 3, 2007 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

I never heard of this thing

It's really cool, way to go finding some climbing despite bad weather all around :))

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I never heard of this thing

Thank you very much Michael! Yeah, I'm not sure if there's a big market for these Oregon towers out there these days (apparently they were all the rage in the 60's & 70's :)

mvs

mvs - Sep 4, 2007 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I never heard of this thing

You are bringing them back into fashion I'll bet! Okay you want more adventure...get on some A3 pin stacks and expando flakes on the obscure side of the tower :D

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 1:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I never heard of this thing

Yup - there's an unrepeated A4 route on the Monster :)

Ed F

Ed F - Sep 3, 2007 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Great read

and climb. I'm envious...

Crazy rock!

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great read

Thank you very much Sir - yeah, I thought it is a crazy looking rock too :)

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 12:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!

Thank you very much Jonathan! Great adventure climb - I'd trade most of our other climbing for this kind of sh.. (guess I'm sick or twisted or something :)

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 4, 2007 12:43 pm - Voted 10/10

A plug for volcanic plugs

Great TR as usual, Radek. I had to girth hitch my personal anchor to my cubicle seat before reading it just to be safe.

Thank god for volcanic plugs! If you think geologically for your climb, it is only possible to climb up these things after the earth around them has eroded away. There are many such plugs still concealed (buried) in the ground. Eons from now, climbers of the future will climb these new plugs...after the Turkey Monster itself has wasted (basted?) away.

Oh yeah, and I think I know where the Turkey Monster's female companion is: On an extended holiday in Hawaii.

rpc

rpc - Sep 4, 2007 1:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A plug for volcanic plugs

hehehhe :) thanks Paul!

Every time I step on a flat slab in an Oregon forest now, I'll be thinking whether or not I'm standing on the summit of some plug yet to be exposed by erosion.

Viewing: 1-19 of 19


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Oregon PinnaclesTrip Reports
 
Turkey MonsterTrip Reports