Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 37.11215°N / 118.44635°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 5, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

05 September - To Lake Elinore

The Palisades. One of the most majestic parts of the Sierra. Now I would love to have tackled North Palisade or one of the other spectacular peaks, however many are technical! I had decided to head up the less popular South Fork of Big Pine towards Lake Elinore and Scimitar Pass. I wasn't sure if it would be possible to make it over the pass in a day but thought the lake would be an alternative.

Sunrise over the PalisadesThe Palisades


Once I parked up and locked up my food (can't leave it in the car) I headed up the South Fork. The views just got better and better.

South Fork of Big PineThe South Fork of Big Pine


On the walk up I met two guys on the trail. They were heading up to the same area as me so we joined up. After passing Willow Lake the path deteriorated and we had to fight our way through a nasty set of trees and bushes. After a long hot climb up through boulders we eventually made it up to the lake. The view was spectacular.

Normal Clyde PeakNorman Clyde Peak


We looked at our watches. Was there time to tackle Mount Sill? Unfortunately not - we would have been descending in the dark. My companions however were quite happy to set up a campfire. We warmed ourselves, ate and went to bed...

06 September - The Sierra Crest

It was an early start that morning. The three of us were heading up towards Scimitar Pass. I was headed for Mount Jepson, the others for Palisade Crest. On the way up I did get a photo of me hauling a rope up...

Me roped upMe with a rope!


As we climbed up the rocks got worse and worse. Eventually it was just a boulder field. Higher up the views became spectacular of the glacier and the main part of the Palisade Crest.

Palisade CrestPalisade Crest


Higher up the winds became atrocious but I finally reached the crest. The views were again spectacular. I couldn't stand up on the crest so headed down to the lake again. I packed up my camp and headed down the drainage towards the road. I did however rest for an hour at a great vista point...

The Palisade CrestPalisade Crest, Mount Jepson and Mount Sill


Comments

No comments posted yet.