Near Fatal Avalanche on the Grand Mesa Thunderbird Couloir

Near Fatal Avalanche on the Grand Mesa Thunderbird Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.08903°N / 108.23323°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter

What Happened?

The author Seth Anderson climbs the Grand Mesa Thunderbird Couloir. He and Ann Driggers made the first known descent on skis March 17, 2010. Unfortunately, most of Anderson's trip down the steep mountain was face first sans skis wrapped in an avalanche.It might be the only chance for decades to ski the Grand Mesa Thunderbird. The legend and existence of the Thunderbird Couloir was my life-long passion which no one else seemed to share.
Skiing above Desert Glow of the MorningMorning sun strikes the Bookcliffs as Ann skins through the brambles below Grand Mesa.

I've looked up at the natural formation with wonder before I knew its name. I longed to view, hike, and perhaps even ski it up close.

The Grand Mesa is not a mountaineer's typical query, but the North Turret has merit — if not for rugged shape and local proximity, then for the Ute's legend of the terrifying Thunderbird story played out in hieroglyphic form on its steep slopes. The local Utes believed the light-colored shale appeared as a wing-spread Thunderbird grabbing a long skinny serpent-like chute rarely visible from below. When a coming storm's light shows the Thunderbird grab the Serpent, it rains in the valley. I have witnessed this just once in 1992.

My brother, Dirk, and I scrambled up the Thunderbird route in September 2009 and found it enjoyable but a “bushwacky” climb above and below. Having an indomitable thirst for intriguing and hard-won ski routes, Ann Driggers, president and CEO of the Grand Junction Economic Partnership, was fired up to go after years of me mentioning it.

Ann and I left Rapid Creek Trailhead at 5 a.m. March 17, 2010. Hiking the dark road till snow coverage at about 6,000-feet elevation required flotation. We put skins on our ski bases and schussed upward crossing a meadow and entering thick low-slung brambles. The sun broke on the glowing Bookcliffs below as we bobbed and weaved through snags of oak brush. We stepped onward to the bottom of the narrow Serpent Chute.
Ann skins toward the Thunderbird of Grand Mesa s North TurretThe brambles below Grand Mesa Serpent Chute and Thunderbird Couloir.

We fixed skis to our packs crawling and kick-stepping up the barely covered Serpent Chute to the wider Thunderbird Couloir above. Reaching the crest, we paused for a break. We decided the west-facing Couloir had not had enough sun to soften it from its hardened state. We skinned steeply toward the basalt-capped summit. I spied a possible scrambling route to try at a later date. We beamed from the great mountain climbing experience we had enjoyed that is within view and reach of our homes.

At about 11:30 a.m., Ann and I skied down to the head of the great bird. I followed Ann “skiers left” out onto the sharp beak. We skied to center, then left again on mostly icy snow. I decided to ski back into the Serpent's gullet. I dropped over a rocky knoll into an open snow patch. The rough textured snow cracked, rumbled and dialed open like a 3-D puzzle.

Ann Climbs up the tail of the Serpent Chute
“No! Stop, Ann!” I yelled behind me. I tried to force a turn to get out of the slide but was immediately sucked under the snow.

I was screaming face down, snow chunks and loose powder surrounded my entire being. It was exactly as I had envisioned being in an avalanche, only rougher. I saw myself sliding quickly to my burial, suffocating and freezing solid in cement-like snow.

I tried to swim and kick to the surface and get my feet pointed down. The snow pounded my face to the rock and debris. I persisted — just as the slide caught air I was freed to put my now ski-less backcountry boots below me.

I was surrounded by snow and launched off of an abrupt drop. I hit hard and my legs crumpled. The thickened snow slammed me without pause and bludgeoned me blindly through hard trees and over two smaller drops. The trees grew denser. I was spit out and slid in slow motion onto a sloping ledge. I clung to a slender tree suspending me above another 80-foot drop.

I was relieved not to be buried and able to breathe. I was horrified when my legs did not move with my body. I was in shock and yelled for Ann to find me. “Are you OK, Seth!?” she shouted back. “I'm HERE!” I replied.
Climbing into the Thunderbird



Blood dribbled past my eyes onto my phone as I dialed 911. “I am on the west face of Grand Mesa on the north side of Rapid Creek just above Palisade. I've just been in an avalanche triggered fall on the Thunderbird Couloir,” I said trying to stay calm. I vaguely recall the responder: “Thunder-what? You're kind of breaking up, sir...”

Ann skied up next to me on the ledge, “Oh my God, Seth, are you OK?” I repositioned my crushed legs uphill to slow my bleeding and handed her my phone. My cell phone signal was gone so Ann managed the rescue effort with calming strength.

Just after 1 p.m. Ann called 9-1-1 and coordinated with Mesa County Search and
Avalanche Run-outThunderbird eggs in the run-out of left branch of avalanche.
Rescue and Powderhorn Ski Patrol's Rondo Beucheler. Rondo is also the owner of Palisade's Rapid Creek Cycles and knows the area better than most.

My pack and skis were gone, only my uninsulated Loki shell covered me as I shivered immobile, contemplating the blood once soft inside my legs now stiffening into huge and painful trunks to compensate for lack of solid bone structure. I suggested that I should wrap a belt tightly at least around my left leg which was broken at the femur and swelling more dramatically. Rondo insisted not to try it if I wasn't bleeding through. Ann handed me her light down jacket as she improved a platform and prepared the rescuers.

Laying in waitThe victim prepared for lowering and transport to the Heli.
Around 4 p.m., St. Mary's Care Flight helicopter blades pounded the air and searched for a safe place to land below us. Pilot Bill Reed landed Search and Rescue's Jose Iglesias, Joanne Black and flight nurses Tom Feller and Rob Klimek to climb up to our ledge. They set up IV fluid and painkillers to essentially save me. By now the shock had worn off and I was in serious, sometimes vocal pain.
Care Flight Helicopter Awaitssalvation in sight. rescuers prepare for the last steep drop to the waiting helicopter.
I was elated to have Sanadam, Rich Moody, Bob Marquis, Terry and many more search and rescue members be so calming and strong. They made me want to live beyond the delicate thoughts of my new son, Asa, and loving family. The IV fluid was my nemesis. I wanted water to moisten my throat so bad but I was only allowed to eat snow. Sensible for surgery... I wasn't sure I could hold together for the hospital.

Many more well spirited and strong search and rescue members arrived to help. I was soon strapped to a rescue basket and rappelled down the initial drop. We trudged across several more stepped slopes to one more rope lowering to the waiting helicopter.

Flight to Recovery

By sunset I was delivered via rooftop landing to talented hands and openly kind souls in the new tower at St. Mary's. Dr. Hilty, Dr. Narrod and Dr. Dolecki made lasting artwork of my near fatal condition. I was saved by technology and intelligence and yet nearly as much by the pure love I have received during my rescue and continuing recovery. I am eternally grateful for more than I could ever repay in my lifetime. It is as if I needed death in my face to realize how many great people I would miss and be letting down.

As I lay reviving two severely broken legs in a St. Mary's patient room, part of a message from Sister Jane McConnell appears:

“To all who are sick or injured let them know that they are loved and held in YOUR careful embrace.”

Ann Dropping In Ann skiing in the Thunderbird.
Illustrated ThunderbirdAscent, descent, and Avalanche start and end point on the North Turret (northwest corner) Grand Mesa.
Thunderbird From aboveThe Thunderbird from above. Easier to see in summer du to the lighter colored shale that forms it.

Daddy BrokenOne of many images showing the results of the nasty avalanche. I'm very lucky to be alive.
Hip Repair
High on the BirdAnn- thanks for being my rock wen I needed help getting out of my dream.
Recovering at Saint Mary s HospitalMy son Asa the "healer" loves the techy gear at the hospital.
Erosion Never Ends A Good Flight


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Dean

Dean - Apr 4, 2010 8:47 am - Voted 10/10

Whoa !!

What a scary story but I am glad to know you are recovering after such a close call. Thanks for sharing your experience as a reminder to all of us who venture into the snow covered mountains.
The best to you.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 4, 2010 9:27 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks Dean

I'm so glad to be alive. I'll be healing a year or two before I can do much adventure. I'll live vicariously through SP for a while...

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Apr 4, 2010 9:54 am - Voted 10/10

wow...

thanks for sharing your story. I hope that you recover well.
I would imagine that Grand Mesa offers such a danger! I am moving to Montrose in July..

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 4, 2010 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Mesa usually tame

Most of the Mesa is fairly tame, both in topography and avalanche frequency below the edges. THe day we skied the Avy forcast was LOW.

Mesa is Spanish for table and is said to be the world's largest flat-top mountain. The Crag Crest on top is the most alpine in nature and more serious with slide potential. The top rim though is 100-300 foot tall Basalt cap that on the west face has very few gaps allowing passage without a rope. Not many bother coming to the west face. From Montrose you will love the views and access to Mt. Sneffels and the San Juans. I think that Court House, Chimney, and Dunsinane to Coxcomb Peak are awesome looking. Dr. Suess' western version of the Italian Dolomites... Visit the LOKI office under the Colorado National Monument sometime! Wilkomen!

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Apr 4, 2010 6:09 pm - Voted 10/10

I am glad...

... it turned out well at the end and you survived. Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you all the best for your recovery. Cheers.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 6, 2010 12:50 am - Hasn't voted

me too

I just finished a round of wheel-chair bacci ball.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Apr 11, 2010 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

So...

I have to ask...
I understand the desire and drive to ski & climb a line that finally had enough snow to ski but why take the unnecessary risk of skiing something on snowpack that statewide, has been and is largely, still horrible?
Even yesterday, in the trees and slightly above treeline down in the Mosquito's, we set off some of the largest whoomfs and collapes I've ever heard or seen. One collapse had to have easily been 40'-50' in diameter.
Thunderbird may have had skiable snow finally, but it was definately not in shape to ski.

Just my .02 of course, but seems extremely reckless & risky. GLAD TO SEE you made it out ok without further injury...been paying attention to this story for a few weeks.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So...

Forecast was "low" for that day. I agree, I usually don't ski "mountains" before May. I prefer to ski on very consolidated spring snow, and even at that I'm usually skiing for travel to stay above the crust.

We were scraping a lot of ice most of the run, I therefore was caught off guard. There was basically a hollow sugar hole where I tried to cross back to our run-out. I'm lucky to be discussing it at all. I'm very lucky my thrashing didn't do mortal damage. Be careful yourself, this year has been bad. I won't ski for a couple years so get some safe ones for me. Where in the Mosquito's were you? Are you on patrol?

Kiefer

Kiefer - Apr 12, 2010 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: So...

There was a 14er gathering via 14ers.com up Sherman, Horseshoe and Co. A buddy and me decided to do a couple lower points further south of Fairplay. Most of the unconsolidation occured between 10,800ft--11,200ft. I kept hoping all day that those wind-loaded east slopes on Sheridan and Peerless didn't let loose due to someone glissading (a lot of novices). In 20 years, I've never seen a swiss-cheesed, dangerously uneven snowpack like this.
That X-ray pic is nuts!
Not on Patrol...just spend a lot of time in the BC. Was up in the hills south of Cameo today. Warm weathr was nice! ;o)
Heal quickly dude!!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Apr 12, 2010 5:47 am - Voted 10/10

sobering

Just had a friend break her spine in a few places after a fall. Luckily she had 911 reception, and was airlifted to a trauma center quickly; but all this stuff is sobering.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 12, 2010 11:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: sobering

Sobering indeed. sorry to disappoint. I'm no powderhound out of bounds in season. I thought this was safe and sound, especially when we were scraping icy turns on most of the run. There really wasn't very much snow at all either. As some`of the photos indicate, there is dirt showing next to the lower part of the Serpent Chute. The spot that cracked exposed foot thick blocks of solid snow. The sugar hole underneath was very dry and cold, just not congealed from the 13 hours of freeze time. bla bla bla.

My best to your friend. Misery does not love the company of others to suffer. I'm really in pain. Especially during rehab. I'm so fortunate my wife covered us with good insurance through her work, and that I get to spend slow time with her and my energetic baby son. Thanks for reading.

jackstraw0083

jackstraw0083 - Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Scary Stuff

Seth, I read about your accident on WildSnow shortly after it happened, but had not heard how things turned out. It's great to see you're OK. It's crazy how dangerous certain places can be on "green" days.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Apr 13, 2010 2:49 am - Voted 10/10

Wow, how scary.

I fell near the top of KT22 at Squaw, no avalanch but a long scary fall. Can't imagine have snow surronding my body as I fell. Glad you're ok, Good luck with all recovery!! Nice photos and interesting reading.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow, how scary.

I wrote about my Squaw Valley trip two weeks before this happened. I worked up the nerve to drop into national couloir (I think that's the name) on the Palisade. Steep drop in for sure. Not sure Ski area's qualify for SP interest but I was ver impressed with the terrain and beauty of Squaw. very cool. I think in some ways being in the whirling snow-globe may have saved me though not by much margin...

dakotaconcrete

dakotaconcrete - Apr 14, 2010 12:09 am - Voted 10/10

Hope your healing process is smooth

I think it was an article you had written about the thunderbird before that made me pay close attention to it from there after. Now everytime I look at it I think about what happened to you up there....glad you made it through alright (relatively speaking)! Get better soon.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 18, 2010 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hope your healing process is smooth

Thanks for your concern and paying attention. I failed miserably in my mission this time. I want the Mesa's "town face to be a viable option to enjoy an outing with 4500' of gain. The North Turret is maybe a 12-14 mile round trip. The two times I've climbed from the south edge of Watson creek blowout to the Swan's Neck and Pal Point and up the T-bird, we started in the evening, camped, got up early and were picked up at Lands End at noon-2 PM. By leaving at 4-5 AM, the round trip could be don in a day no problem, with good legs. How was your Gilpin Climb. Scary scree fest? Nice view? That's on my list. Perhaps in 2012 we could head out for a climb. A safe one.

Thanks!
Seth

dakotaconcrete

dakotaconcrete - Apr 19, 2010 6:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Hope your healing process is smooth

North Turret sounds like an interesting area...I've had a hard time obtaining any beta on that area so I've pretty much put it off for the time being. The info you wrote here is the most I've seen. Now that I have something to work with I might try it out.

My Gilpin trip was a wash....made it to the ridge that separates yankee boy and blue lakes....it was a bit early in the season and I didn't feel comfortable taking on the final heavily corniced ridge to the summit. Hit me up anytime. -Nick

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 24, 2010 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Grand Mesa's NorthTurret etc.

I made up the term North Turret, but I think its a fitting title.
To the south is Palisade Point, further still south is Indian Point, it may have a name I'm not aware of, it could also be called: Mesa Point, Radio Point, Nexrad Point, Tower Point,
Ute Point, North Point, Thunderbird Point/Face... I still like North Turret.
It's a neat place for a day's outing with good vertical gain without driving hundreds of miles to higher peaks. Finding a more bramble free route would be ideal... Gilpin will be summer 2012 at the earliest. If I heal properly. Thanks for the well wishes and banter. ;]

Cheeseburglar

Cheeseburglar - Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am - Hasn't voted

Heal up!

Hope the healing goes well. Those are nasty breaks!
Can you spend your down time inventing some kind of magical thing for pants? Maybe an extra sock in case you get a sock wet, you just take your wet sock off and whip out the dry one from within the pants somewhere? Or maybe a whip out gaitor? that would be cool.
Looking at that picture, I probably would have thought there were too many trees for that to slide.
How come this doesn't show up on the CAIC's accidents page? I did find it with a query.

seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Apr 18, 2010 11:33 am - Hasn't voted

There are Loki inventions yet

to release. A couple for pants... boot pants are one for wood floors at least ;]

The docs here, Dr. Dolecki and Narrod did amazing work. St. Mary's really is one of the best hospitals in the US. Doc's live here with less pay to be a part of the community, the scenery and activities within reach.

I have more photos from SAR that show the avi runout. I am even luckier than I knew. There is a very narrow rutted-channel that it ran down. It split just above the last cliff to a flat landing. I was spit (or perhaps cantilevered, hence double hyper extended knees) onto a hummock in the middle with a skinny tree to grab onto above the cliff. Had I continued down either drop I would have fallen 80 feet to boulders then buried, or 50-60 feet to softer landing, then buried. Thanks for interest. Oh, I'm not sure about the CAIC. Ann reported it. I'm told its been up and down a couple times. I'd like to see it as well.

Loki may adjust our marketing budget to support CAIC. A lot of folks benefit from it while at the same time it seems a lot of folks have been getting in trouble with slides this season. Perhaps its is in the news more? China has been having major accidents from mining and quakes.. don't hear much about their woes.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Grand MesaTrip Reports