Tunnel of Vielha-Besiberri Sud

Tunnel of Vielha-Besiberri Sud

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.59513°N / 0.82732°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The second most frequented route to climb Besiberri Sud goes across the valley of Besiberri with a new small free hut (overcrowed in summer, it's only has 18 places).

Getting There

VielhaVielha

-From France the tunnel of Vielha is reached from the area of Pau-Tarbes to St. Girons.
-From Spain: from Huesca and Zaragoza crossing Barbastro. C-1311 to Grauss and Benabarre. N-230 to Pont de Suert following to the village of Vielha.

The trailhead is at 1,2km at South of tunnel of Vielha in a big parking of camions (1.550m). We take the track of the signal "Ball de Besiberri". You can sleep as well in the new Refugio de Conangles (1.585m), very near of this parking.

Route Description

South face of Tunnel of VielhaTunnel of Vielha South
Besiberri del MigColl d'Abellers

The track goes to South into the forest near of the river to reach a cross path turning to left (E.). Some paths cross the track to don't walk the long curves. We follow the signals to reach the col (2.200m) near of estanyet de Besiberri (Besiberri’s small lake). Following the path near of the river we reach the new free hut (2h from the trailhead) with only 18 places to bivouac. The path goes in direction to the great ridge of Besiberris. The peak Besiberri Nord is in left side (N.E.) but the path turn in direction to the area of stones under Besiberri del Mig (S.E.). In this point the cairns indicate the change of direction to South (right). The coll d’Abellers is visible at West (right) of the ridge of Besiberri Sud. The access to the col is a pronounced ramp-channel of 35º with snow (frequent in spring). The ramp has a lot of stones without snow (July to September) reaching the wide coll d’Abellers (2.885m). In this point we connect with the people who come from Caldes de Boí.

Essential Gear

The access North to coll d'Abellers has snow in the first days of summer but normally in July and August you don't need use crampons.

External Links

Map of the route (text in French).
Besiberri Nord, option to climb Besiberri Nord from the same route (text in French).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.