Twiddled around Echo Peaks on a windy autumn day. Nice views but I didn't think the climbing was so spectacular.
My first visit was in 1998. Camped in Tuolumne Meadows Campground and had a bear sit on my tent! Have hiked up Lembert Dome, Lyell Canyon, and to Cathedral Lake over the years. Planning on going back this October. It doesn't get much better than this! Just watch out for the bears...
I was awe struck when I first arrived in the meadows. Usually I just stay in the lone pine to bishop area but for some reason my friends wanted to wonder north so we did.
Hiked into Tuolumne Meadows campground after a 20 mile day with packs, over Donohue Pass, I don't think my feet or legs worked after that day.
Awesome climbing, loved Tuolumne, visited this area for a weekend on my first time in the US and did some routes! First time climbing on granite too, definitely different than Canadian Rockies limestone rubble.
Toproped this fine but short hand / finger crack a couple times with Matthew. Supertopo says 5.6, but a couple of folks told us it was more like 5.7-5.8. I have no idea, but it was a lot of fun.
Did this route last August. A very sweet and fun route. Mark placed a single red camelot in the book section--gotta love Tuolumne runouts!!
All-time favorite route....Oz (5.10d) on Drug Dome.
My first time there. Gorgeous!
Great rock-climbing practice weekend with Dave Kiene and my girlfriend Etsuko. We focused on the following toprope routes...
1. Pothole Dome, West Face
- First toprope on the right side of the dome (5.1-5.4): Nice and easy 100'-high friction pitch. We did it at 7pm with the last daylight.
2. Puppy Dome, West Face (lower section)
- The Crack (5.8): awesome 50'-high hand-to-finger crack. Cut my finger on that one.
- The Corner (5.6): easy 70'-high pitch with some chimney, corner and face climbing.
- The Zig Zag pitch (5.6+): you are supposed to 'zig-zag' the route for the 5.6 rating. We didn't and went straight up for some tricky face climbing for about 15'. After that, there is a great hand-crack. Route length is ~70'. Our variation was probably at 5.8-5.9