U.S. State Highpoints Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
osatrik

osatrik - Jul 11, 2009 3:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Magazine Mountain - NOT Mount Magazine

A check of the official geographic names index (GNIS) of the USGS reveals that the name of the high point in Arkansas is "Magazine Mountain", not "Mount Magazine". Although not a hard and fast rule, generally "Mount Xxxxx" is used for a peak, and "Xxxx Mountain" is more frequently used for ridges, which better describes this feature. Magazine Mountian appears in the GNIS as a ridge, and Signal Hill as its summit. "Mount Magazine" is the name used by the Arkansas State Park, but it not the officially accepted name. All four of the guidebooks published to date on state highpoints have used the correct nomenclature, and I believe entries in Summitpost.org should do the same.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 11, 2009 3:16 pm - Hasn't voted

I disagree that this needs to be changed

Pretty much most references in the local area (of Arkansas) call this area Mount Magazine. Signal Hill is the official summit. I don't see any reason to change based on the USGS official names, when the whole area is called Mount Magazine State Park.

caverpilot

caverpilot - Apr 5, 2016 6:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I disagree that this needs to be changed

I'm entertained by this response as the Highpointer's Club website specifically states that the official source for highpoints is the USGS. If we can't rely on the official source, what's the point? (And yes, I see the area is called Mount Magazine State Park). lol

nick06 - Oct 17, 2009 2:33 am - Hasn't voted

Most Glaciated Range

Article says the Wind Rivers are the most heavily glaciated range in the lower 48. Most glaciated is by far the North Cascades of Washington.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Oct 17, 2009 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Most Glaciated Range

The original source of information about this, I believe, was the Winds guide book. I'll take the USGS source of information as a better more reliable source of information with data figures, so I will change this statement in the article.

WingLady

WingLady - May 22, 2010 4:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Update for

The link in the note "Various Guidebooks can be obtained through the Highpointers Club" no longer functions.

New, autographed copies of "Highpoint Adventures" (1st Edition only) is available from:
The Winger Bookstore

Alpinist

Alpinist - Feb 25, 2012 2:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Embedded images are off

FYI - your embedded thumbnail images for Humphreys, Hood, Katahdin, etc., are not lined up with their associated descriptions. The second paragraph of text for Borah has thrown them out of sync...

Richard Flinn - Sep 5, 2013 7:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt. Magazine

I wanted to let you'll know, that the prominence of Mount Magazine is 2,435 ft above sea level. Almost all of the web hits you'll get say, it is 2,133ft. This is a widespread mistake. Also Magazine it is not part of the Ozarks, it is in the Ouachita range.

Richard Flinn - Sep 5, 2013 7:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt.Magazine

Mt. Magazine prominence = 2,435ft. Mt. Magazine/signal hill rises to a total of 2,753ft above sea level.

distressbark

distressbark - Mar 8, 2014 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

not Eagle Mountain

The photo you provide of Minnesota's Eagle Mountain is in fact not Eagle Mountain. The view is across Whale Lake to a nearby highpoint but Eagle Mountain is actually out of frame and to the left. Would be nice to see an accurate photo of Minnesota's highest point. Thanks.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 10, 2014 12:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: not Eagle Mountain

Changed to show correct view of Eagle Mountain

distressbark

distressbark - Mar 21, 2014 10:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: not Eagle Mountain

Rad, thanks!

caverpilot

caverpilot - Apr 5, 2016 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

not Mt. McKinley

The author of the Denali page has updated to reflect the official name, however the name of the AK highpoint is still listed as "Mount McKinley." Please update, thanks!!

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'U.S. State Highpoints' main page