Unexpected Boulder Field, Charon's Garden

Unexpected Boulder Field, Charon's Garden

Charon's Garden Wilderness Trail between Sunset and Treasure Lake in Charon's Garden Wilderness (part of the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge, OK) has a large, unmarked boulder field that completely obscures any evidence of the trail for about 1/4-mile. The image shows about where you'll find that field. I've uploaded a couple separate images to show what you can expect to encounter: So Where's the Trail and The Big Room. It is a great place to scramble; as long as you don't expect anything resembling a trail! Another discrepancy with this map: The markings of Post Oak Lake and Treasure Lake are reversed on other maps provided at the refuge. I'm uncertain which is correct. By the way: Water! We were able to purify water in the seasonal stream shown on the map just to the southwest of the boulder field. It didn't run as far as shown on the map, but surfaced from beneath the ground, and ran a couple hundred feet before disappearing back into the ground. This was in December 2004. Many of the other streams and ponds also had water and/or ice.

Mark Doiron
on Mar 20, 2006 4:30 pm
Image Type(s): Topo/Diagram,  Water
Image ID: 182237

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Okiedad - Aug 21, 2011 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Boulder field

Our troop used to winter camp at fawn creek every Christmas break. First time I went there was in 1970. We hiked over the north side of Mt. Lincoln, down the back side, and caught that trail. You're right, nothing but a boulder field going up that pass. Wish I had known about the room then.
That particular trip, we were having lunch on top of Lincoln when a rescue helicopter flew in. A church group as rappelling down the back of Elk and the rope broke. One person died that day. Found that out when I got back home in OKC.
Regardless, I have fond memories of the area, and drive through there often.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Aug 22, 2011 4:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Boulder field

That's cool! I don't know if you saw or not, but I'm also a Scouter. Currently serve as Big Tepee Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner. My son's old troop, T275 of Choctaw, camps occasionally in the Wichitas. It's a wonderful resource! --mark d.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2