Upper Pole Couloir Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Moogie737

Moogie737 - Jun 5, 2013 12:35 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 2013

Not all melted out - yet  Sucess!

with ZeeJay. There was some snow near the bottom of the couloir and more climbable stuff from 8,500' up to 9,200' where we angled north out of the couloir, just below the split.

vanman798

vanman798 - Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2008

Cheating?  Sucess!

May 15, 2010 - Started at the Squaw Peak overlook and hiked to the base of the coulior with marauders, and Rusty. The snow in the coulior was soft by 10:30 am, so we had to skin up. Got a hundred or so vertical feet above the couloir (up to about 10,200 ft) and got concerned about the wet slab conditions, so we sacrificed the summit and skied down. It felt pretty cool to ski the Upper Pole Coulior. A natural slide came down just as I was crossing the fork, luckily the slide came down the south branch and I was in the north branch. Managed to ski down to about 7200 ft in the coulior, but then had a heck of a bushwhack back to the road. Click here to view photo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
June 11, 2008 As a lpollock pointed out to me from his experience of climbing to the North Peak of Cascade via the Upper Pole Coulior "it almost felt like cheating". It only took 2 hours to top the mountain, and about 15 more minutes to summit the north peak. So I wandered over the the north most peak with the weather (or maybe radio?) tower on it too. Upper Pole is a great way to climb this mountain.

lpollock

lpollock - Apr 15, 2007 7:49 pm Date Climbed: Apr 14, 2007

Success in the couloir  Sucess!

I tried this once in the summer, but couldn't even find it. Then tried again last spring, but chickened out part way up. Finally made it to the top yesterday (April 14, 2007). It was perfect conditions. Awesome! Best/easiest way up Cascade...

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Upper Pole Couloir' main page