Upper Right Ski Track, 5.3 with Beginner's Three approach

Upper Right Ski Track, 5.3 with Beginner's Three approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.01571°N / 116.16278°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.3 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.3
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Topo of the route
Joshua Tree Wildlife
Another J Tree sunrise
Beginner s ThreeBeginner's Three is shown here. This is the alternate approach to Upper Right Ski Track


Intersection Rock located in Joshua Tree National Park's is a gift that keeps on giving. The majority of the routes are located on the west and southwest side of this rock. The north face, however, has its own share of routes. The north face, therefore always in the shade, is the steepest side of Intersection Rock. The most prominent features of the north face are two crack systems, The Right Ski Track and Left Ski Track. Both of these routes are fairly difficult, except for the upper part of Right Ski Track. As luck would have it, you do not have to climb the lower part of this crack, rated 10b/c, to get to the upper part of it. This may be the reason for many climbers seeking an easier route to the top of Intersection Rock to choose Upper Ski Track route, rated only 5.3.





Loyal friend, only if...Loyal friend, only if he could also belay!
The approach to to Upper Right Ski Track is very simple and involves scrambling on low angle rocks on the northwest shoulder to reach a ledge/ramp nearly half way up the rock. There is, however, a much more interesting way to make the approach. Climb a low angle hand crack called "Beginner's Three," rated 5.3, to the same ledge. Follow this ledge to its end which is the base of of our route. Upper Right Ski Track is a very wide crack that takes you all the way to the top of Intersection Rock.



To Descend Rappel from any one of the number of anchors on top. If you have one rope you can rappel down the west side to Bat Ledge, and another rappel to the bottom. If you have two ropes you can rappel down the north face with only one rap.


Essential Equipment: Standard rack, include extra large cams, slings, one or two ropes.



From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park drive on Park Boulevard, formerly known as Quail Springs Road, for about nine miles to a major rock formation called “Intersection Rock.” Intersection Rock is a major landmark on the north side of Quail Springs Road with ample parking for visitors and climbers alike. This rock, true to its name, sit at the cross roads to “Hidden Valley Campground”, Barker Dam Road and the road to “Day use and picnic” area.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.