Val de Juel

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.56420°N / 11.85310°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Ferrata
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: KS1-B
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Trailhead is Fontanacia on SS244 between Corvara and Stern La Villa. The climb starts directly at the road, first traversing the meadows to the feet of Torri di Sassongher.

Route Description


Altitude gain: 1200m
Duration: 2h 45min
Trailhead: Verda / Fontanacia

The climb is rather restricted in its views so that most of the first time climbers prefer the normal route through the Edelweisstal. Therefor, however, you'll be pretty much on your own.

The climb starts at the road and traverses the meadows to the foot of the Torri. There a first scrcamble leads into the higher situated Val de Juel. Once in the valley follow its bottom trail along gravel and smaller rocks. On the left hand side you can see the Torri di Sassongher on the right hand side are the steep faces falling down from the Gherdenacia plateau. Half way up the valley a panoramic trail (views to Heiligkreuzkofel and La Varella) leads to Rifugio Gherdenacia. You climb straight on, however and at the top of the valley get to Sassongher pass.

From Sassongher pass scramble over lose rocky terrain southwards towards Sassongher summit. Just below the summit block turn to the left and climb the short ferrata (100m length) over rocky steps towards the top. All in all this is a perfect ferrata for beginners. It is pretty exposed but rather easy to climb.

Essential Gear


In principle hiking gear is sufficient. For the last 100m to the summit you might want to use a ferrata harness with two short ropes and carabines. Since the summit might get pretty crowded it is advisable to have a helmat at hand


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.