Vaskapu Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

bendgriz - May 29, 2008 4:30 pm - Hasn't voted

GPS correction

I visited Vaskapu two weeks ago, and when I arrived at the GPS coordinates cited on SummitPost, found myself in a thickly wooded valley, rather than the hillside further west where the twin arches were indeed found, and climbed to much satisfaction.

According to my Garmin Forerunner 305, the arches are actually located at N 47" 42.211', E 18" 53.082'.

Key way points are that one does not take the main highway out of town, but rather take a left (turning west) INTO the little town toward the well-posted pizza shop. Third right is the next turn (turning north). Follow that road as far north as your car will go, and park on the side of the road. Keep walking up the same path (road turns into a dirt path) until it crests on a hill (as you approach the crest, you'll see a bare outcropping 2/3 of the way up the hill to your left - it appears quite small, but that's your destination). When you reach that crest (you'll know you've gone too far if you hit a small picnic area), take the steepest trail off to the left, and keep following that steep trail up hill until you see a large cairn (pile of rocks). Look left and THERE you fill finally see the wooden steps mentioned in the original directions posted here. At that point you are a STEEP 150m from the Vaskapu arches.

Happy (and safe) climbing!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Vaskapu' main page