Veľká Kopka from Kotlina Žabich plies

Veľká Kopka from Kotlina Žabich plies

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16936°N / 20.08285°E
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Winter ascent. We decided for combination of three routes from Kotlina Žabich plies. It's an easy winter climbing (depends on conditions). We had a lot of snow, few ice steps, so the whole climb was done on snow.
Kopky
Western face of Kopky

Getting There

As we were accommodated at chata pod Rysmi, we descended to Kotlina Žabich plies, which is also easily accessible from Popradské pleso.
Kopky
Kopky and chata pod Rysmi

Route Description

We decided for combination of three routes (according Puškáš 39, 43 and 41, see the main picture).
We descended from chata pod Rysmi to Kotlina Žabich plies, where we went under western walls of Kopky to a big couloir near the Left rib of Malá Kopka leading to Predná Popradská lávka.
Kotlina Žabich plies
Kotlina Žabích plies
Left ribCouloir leading to Predná Popradská lávka
We were climbing through several ice steps and in a deep snow to a rock barrier. To the left of this barrier is a snow ramp traversing western face of Kopky.
Ramp
Under the rock barrier we turned left to a snow ramp

Through several ribs we climbed to the couloir falling from Zadná Popradská lávka and via few ice steps we climbed directly to Zadná Popradská lávka.
Couloir
Couloir leading to Zadná Popradská lávka

Depending on condition it's recommended to use some protection in this last section. There are easy rock steps, but during our climb they were covered by thin layer of ice. From the saddle we followed the ridge to the summit of Veľká Kopka. From the summit we descended directly to the NE ridge and then rappelled down the northern face. After abseiling we continued through easy snow slopes to the ramp traversing northern face of Kopky, leading to Dolinka pod Váhou and under the walls of Dračie pazúriky back to chata pod Rysmi.

Essential Gear

Winter climbing gear. Climbing ice-axes, crampons, rope for abseiling from Veľká Kopka, friends, nuts.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.