The Famous ski center above Bohinjsko jezero (Bohinj lake) and two mountain pastures (First and Last Vogel) between which the summit rises, got their name by a high beautiful pyramid above in the South Bohinj Ridge. That's why Vogel is the most known mountain of the South Bohinj Ridge although it is only 11th highest mountain in the range. However a question is, how many skiers, who are skiing from below Sija and Orlov rob (Eagel's Edge) through Zagar's graben, keep in mind from where the name of these wonderful ski fields derives. Certainly the most beautiful view on Vogel summit is from Ski hotel on Rjave skale (Brown Rocks). Easy access and not too demanding slopes, that is why it is also a popular destination for ski tours in winter.
Because of ski lifts on Bohinj side, which reach at Orlov rob the altitude of 1800 meters Vogel is reachable also for less experienced, that is why it isn't short of visits in summer. A different situation is from Primorska side where 5 to 6 hours of walk are necessary to reach the summit.
Vogel can be reached from the south and from the north. From the south you follow the dreamy beautiful valley of Soca river. You will nowhere in Europe find a river of a such light blue colour. Town Tolmin and Soca valley can be reached from the south (from Italy via Gorizia, from Slovenia via Idrija or Ajdovscina) or from the north (over Vrsic Pass from Sava valley or over Predel pass from Tarvisio). It's also possible to arrive there from the west, from Udine over the Ucja/Uccea pass or from Udine via Cividale and then over Stupizza pass - these routes are reaching Tolmin. You turn in town per a local road, which guides you 10 km to a small village Tolminske Ravne.
From the north the Bohinj valley can be reached by a good road from the well known tourist resort of Bled.We drive from Ribcev Laz round road along wonderful Bohinj lake to the lower station of cableway on Vogel. To here is also good bus connection.
Bohinjsko jezero z okolico ( Bohinj lake with surroundings ) 1 : 25000
Zabiski Kuk from Vogel
- From Ski hotel on Vogel ( 1535m ) : Go by marks towards Visoki Orlov rob (1800m). Here on crossing of way you turn to the right and go by marks with 1 (Slovenian mountaineering transverzal) that you arrive round ridge on summit of Vogel. Easy path. Nice ski tour!
Time Required : Ski hotel - Visoki Orlov rob - Vogel - Ski hotel = 3h 30min
- From Ukanc (569m) : Go by marks trough Zagarjev graben. On crossing of paths you go straight to mountain pasture Kal (1346m) and from here forward reach saddle Globoko (1828m) and after ridge on summit of Vogel. Easy path. Nice ski tour!
Time Required : Ukanc - mountain pasture Kal - saddle Globoko - Vogel - Ukanc = 8h
- Bohinjsko jezero z okolico ( Bohinj lake with surroundings ), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:25000
- Julijske Alpe, zahodni del (western part), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- Posocje, Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- interaktive map
View from summit
View towards east
View from summit toward west
View to planina Razor
Vogel is in Triglav national park. There are no restraints practically. We beg you,that you keep nature intact, don't pick up flowers. Garbages also don't fit on mountains ;-)
Vogel can be reached in all seasons. In winter you need to be careful, because of the possibility of avalanches or iced slopes. Unannounced thunderstorms or fog require a necessary precaution also in summer.
- planinska koca ( mountain hut )Merjasec na Voglu (1535m)
- planinska koca ( mountain hut )na planini Razor (1315m)- for info CLICK HERE Over garage is a winter bivouac.
In Bohinj, by the lake, there is a good camping place and in Ribcev Laz you can also find some hotels and private rooms.
In Tolmin area you have two camps (camp Vili and camp Lazar) and you can also find hotels (hotel Krn) or private rooms.
Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the
Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The
Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.
Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.