Volcán de Lodo El Totumo

Volcán de Lodo El Totumo

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 10.74442°N / 75.2417°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 98 ft / 30 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fresh mud still erupts from...

Colombia´s highest mud volcano [wikipedia] located on the Carribbean coast about 50 km from Cartagena. Underground masses of organic matter are decomposing. The resulting gases rise to the surface and bring with them a pale mud. On the surface the mud splatters, leaks, and drips which over time has built up into the 15m cone. The crater is filled with creamy mud and mud weeps from its sides. Otherwise sensible people immerse themselves in the crater. Thin and watery at the top, the mud becomes progressively thicker deeper down. Supposedly this mineral rich mud has therapeutic properties. The standard route, Via Madera, like it's iron conterparts in the Alps and Dolomites is a wooden construction designed to make the ascent less treacherous, however, wet slick mud and dry crumbly mud are everywhere so ascencionistas still need to be wary. Other routes are possible but best done with crampons and 1 or more axes. It is possible to find sections of up to 50° or even 60° mud.

Getting There

There is no public transport to the volcano. Without your own vehicle, the easiest way to arrive is from Cartagena on a tour booked through one of the hotels or travel agencies. It is a fairly well known and popular excursion. Trips (including lunch) leave in the morning around 08.00 to 09.00 and cost CoP $30.000 about USD $14. Public transport ends 1.5 hours from Cartagena on the old Barranquilla road at Lomita Arena. From there walkers have 4 km on roads.

Red Tape

No permits but this is a fee area. If you went as part of an organized tour then the fee is included else pay a few thousand pesos. It is usually visited from Cartagena.

Camping

There is no camping or huts. This is all private property.