Viewing: 1-9 of 9
rickford

rickford - Dec 6, 2007 4:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done

and very informative. I will utilize these techniques from now on. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Geo

Geo - Dec 7, 2007 12:24 am - Voted 10/10

painting with light

Many moons ago, a teacher told me that photography was the art of painting with light... such a simple phrase that sums up such a complicated subject. Thanks for shedding a little more light on it.

rdmc

rdmc - Dec 7, 2007 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Great article & pics.

The photography of SP is my favorite part of the site. I am a complete amateur,but am inspired by photograhers here at SP. Thanks for sharing the love of photography, the information and the inspiration.

tannerpuma15

tannerpuma15 - Dec 11, 2007 2:11 pm - Voted 10/10

fantastico

what a phenomenal article and great pointers to us beginners. thanks and happy summits!

lasvegaswraith

lasvegaswraith - Dec 13, 2007 11:25 pm - Voted 10/10

fantastic

Great article. Thanks for sharing your worthy advice. What better way is there to bring your experiences back to share with others?

fossana

fossana - Dec 14, 2007 9:39 pm - Voted 10/10

informative

i especially like the timed interval shots. thanks so much for putting this together.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 19, 2007 8:54 am - Voted 10/10

Informative Article

Informative article with great images. Couple things you might consider adding:

1. The affect of lighting on texture. This could be especially useful for what might otherwise be a "boring old route shot"--being able to see the texture of the terrain could help others out. But, as I'm certain you're well aware, texture is a vital element of good photographs and its appearance is dramatically affected by the light.

2. In your paragraph about direction-less lighting, you might mention that this shooting situation is usually caused by an overcast day. Also, an overcast day eases the contrast in certain scenarios, such as when shooting under "spotty" shadows, like under a thinly vegetated forest canopy.

--mark d.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Dec 19, 2007 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Informative Article

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your helpful comments. I just finished working your 2nd suggestion into the article. I'll have to think a while before adding something on "texture" but will try to do it soon.

Mike

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Feb 28, 2008 6:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Hey, thanks for the compliments and suggestions. As the "thirds", I thought Mark Dorion did a great job of covering that along with some of the other "rules" in his article "Cropping - The Kindest Cut" so didn't feel I needed to do so. As to "White Balance" and manual manipulation of digital shots, well, those remain for another article. Why don't you write it? I suspect you could do the subject justice. Mike.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Waiting for the Light' main page