Walk to Rannerdale Knotts from Buttermere in the Lake District, UK

Walk to Rannerdale Knotts from Buttermere in the Lake District, UK

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Walk up Rannerdale Knotts in the Lake District, UK

 

Leaving Buttermere for our walk to Rannerdale Knotts in the Lake District

 

Last week we headed to the Lake District and stayed a night in Buttermere at the youth hostel. The following morning we went for a gentle stroll around Buttermere Lake and then decided after lunch to have a walk up to the top of Rannerdale Knotts.

 

We had previously walked to the top of the Wainwright a few years back, and so we decided to walk the reverse path and head up the gentle slopes on the southern side of the fell, and then back down the steep north ridge back down to the roadside.

 

Our walk began in Ghyll Woods and after walking up through the woods and leaving Buttermere behind us, we reached Grassgarth Coppice.

 

The walk to the top of Rannerdale Knotts

 

Once on the grassy slopes there is a moderately steep incline to the top of the main slope and then onto the tongue of the fell of Rannerdale Knotts. From here the walk is mostly gentle with smooth inclines along the top of the ridge line to the summit of the fell.

 

Views from the top of Rannerdale Knotts looking towards Crummock Water

 

 

The views from the top were so picturesque and we remembered why we enjoyed the view from the top so much last time. You get to see Buttermere Village and water to one side, and then Crummock Water and Loweswater to the other, with the Wainwright fells all slotting into place rather perfectly in between.

 

View from the top of Rannerdale Knotts

 

 

It’s such a joy to walk and we had a little pause at the top before making our way down the steep front of the fell.

 

Heading back down to Buttermere

 

The slopes down to the roadside from the top of Rannerdale Knotts are a steep decline for most of the way. At one point you even look down to feel as though the path literally disappears off of the edge of the fell. But it is a joy to walk this way down although it’s not so nice on the knees.

 

It doesn’t take too long to get to the base of the Wainwright, and from here we stopped for a snack and enjoyed the scenery before making our way back to the village.

 

The walk along the road is not a bad one as the roads are pretty quiet, but then we took a detour into a small wooded area for the last part of the walk to have a change of scenery once more.

 

The weather was spot on for us heading up to the fell, but once back down we could see the typical mist ahead towards Buttermere water, with the mountains disappearing from view, mainly Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks. We knew rain was on the way so we continued our walk and made it back into the village not long after the raindrops began to hit our coats.

 

Overall a lovely walk, and one that is not walked often enough in the Lake District, UK. For more information check out our walking blog and website for the full route, and photos to go along with it too.



Comments

No comments posted yet.