Wall Of Early Morning Fright

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.65580°N / 118.8656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Traditional Rocl Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.9
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the same approach used for Duet (5.8).

Route Description


Locate a right facing corner, just 20 feet right of 'Duet' and just above the east gully descent to routes on the north side of Chimney Rock Spire.

Pitch #1: Ascend this corner (5.8) for 100' to the base of a steep ramp. Belay here (lots of exposure!) before ascending the 2nd pitch up the ramp.

Pitch #2: Begin some awkward climbing up the ramp (5.9) using a 5" off-width crack (big gear!!) for protection. Continue up the ramp till it narrows and bends left and up. Climb an additional 25 feet before reaching an alcove . Belay at this alcove. Pitch length: 160'+

Pitch #3: This pitch is short (70'). Start out of the right side of the alcove and the up onto a blunt arete using large face holds and cracks (5.6/5.7). Belay at the summit.

THE DESCENT:

From the summit, rap 20' to the bolted anchor (located on the southeastern side, toward Dinner Wall) then rap approx. 100' to the next bolted anchor (just above 'Duet'), then one more 80' rap to the ground. It is possible to do one rappel to the ground from the top of the second pitch with two 60 meter ropes but it will be very difficult to pull the ropes down. In my last experience there, we had our ropes get caught up in a few chickenheads above. Use good judgement before pulling your ropes.



Essential Gear


+ Two 60 meter ropes (for the rappel)
+ Pro to 5" (large cams and Aliens helpful)
+ 2' Slings (6)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.