Weißgrubenkopf is a distinctive mountain at the end of the Kleinarl valley above Tappenkarsee (lake).
It´s a popular mountain from the near huts of Tappenkarsee hut and Franz-Fischer-hut. For a long day trip you can also start at Jägersee at the end of the road from Kleinarl (parking place, end of the road).
The mountain has an impressive and firm Southwest wall and from the summit you have a wide view to Dachstein massif, Hochkönig massif, the Ankogel area and to Glockner group with Großglockner, Wiesbachhorn etc. You also get a nice overview of the mountains of Niedere Tauern.
The area with Weißgrubenkopf, Tappenkarsee and Jägersee is really a beautiful and idyllic place. So at days with good weather there are also many hikers who hike from Jägersee to Tappenkarsee hut. But when you ascent to Weißgrubenkopf you leave the hikers below. And when you climb one of the wonderful climbing routes you only will meet other mountain-addicted climbers.
Via Tauernautobahn to Flachau, then to Wagrain or from Zell am See via Schwarzach and St. Johann/Pongau to Wagrain.
In Wagrain you have to drive to Kleinarl (also public transports).
Then drive through Kleinarl until you reach Jägersee and the parking place there.
From Jägersee (1.097 m) you hike in 3 hours to Tappenkarsee hut. From Kleinarl (1.008 m) you hike in 4 hours to the hut. From Schwabalm you reach the hut in 2 hours and from the Franz-Fischer-hut you reach the hut in 3 hours.
From Tappenkarsee hut you hike in 1 hour to Weißgrubenscharte. From there you have several route possibilities:
1. Normal route: Not very difficulty, red marked, 1 ¾ hours from Tappenkarsee hut and Franz-Fischer-hut to the summit.
2. South ridge: Climbing route UIAA II-III, 150 hm from Weißgrubenscharte (20 minutes), bad rock quality.
3. Southsouthwest wall: Climbing route UIAA II, 200 hm from Weißgrubenscharte (30-60 minutes), good rock quality
4. Southwest pillar: Climbing route UIAA III, 200 hm from Weißgrubenscharte (1 hour), good rock quality, really worthwhile
5. West pillar: Climbing route UIAA VI, 250 hm from Weißgrubenscharte (4-5 hours), difficult to find the route, some bolts in the route
6. Southwest wall: Climbing route UIAA III, 200 hm from Weißgrubenscharte (1 hour)
No red tape - but respect the brood area of birds in this intact nature area.
In Kleinarl is no camping place. But in summer several cheap accomodations.
Camping places are in:
Camping Kastenhof - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Kastenhofweg 6
Camping Hirschenwirt - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Bundesstrasse 1
Campingplatz Passrucker - 5541 Altenmarkt, Zauchenseestrasse 341
Sonnenterrassen-Camping St. Veit - 5620 St. Veit, Bichlwirt 12
Camping Aschau - 5612 Hüttschlag, Karteis 24
External LinksTappenkarsee hut