West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.71290°N / 119.647°W
Additional Information Route Type: Big Wall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: V, 5.7, C2F
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to the base of the West Face route, hike east from the rest rooms at the Bridalveil Falls parking area. Follow climber trails up and right towards the base of the wall. Follow this up and right until the ledge system is seen that bisects the West Face ( the Leaning Tower Traverse ). Follow this ledge ( some class 4 ) to a dead tree at the start of the first bolt ladder pitch.

To descend, head southeast from the back of the leaning Tower to the Leaning Chimney which is rappelled. this brings one back to the approach trail at the base.

Route Description


This is one of the Classic Big Walls of Yosemite Valley - a must do climb for the aspiring big wall climber. Much of the gear is fixed, most bolts have been replaced and the location is spectacular! A highly recommended climb!

From the dead tree, climb four very steep pitches via many bolts and a few C1 and C2 placements to Guano Ledge. Ahwahnee Ledge ( great bivy ) is found 30' to the left. Pitch 5 follows a spectacular crack up and right ( C2 ). the next pitch starts free, then follows a bolt ladder to a belay. Pitches 7 and 8 follow a crack ( C1 or 5.10, C1 ), then pitch 9 aids around a roof ( C1+, 5.6 ). One more C2 pitch up a corner leads to class 4 scrambling and the top.

Essential Gear


2 each nuts, 3 each cams from 1/2" to 1", two each cams from 1 1/2" - 2 1/2", one each cams 3" - 4 1/2", 1 cliffhanger hook.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.