West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14100°N / 118.565°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Bishop Pass TH, hike south along the east shore of South Lake. At the junction near the south end of the lake, take the right fork to Treasure Lakes. Follow the trail as it traverses the basin at South Lake's southern end, then climbs 800ft to the lowest of the Treasure Lakes. Leave the trail where it passes between the two lower lakes, heading southeast up to the small cirque on the west side of Hurd Peak. There are two more lakes here, a delightful spot for camping or taking in the abundant wildflowers.

Route Description

From the two lakes, there are many options up the West Face, a broad swath of broken rocks and chutes. There are some tedious sandy chutes that can be followed for the easiest path, or stay on the aretes between them for more challenging (and more solid) rock. The class 3 sections are short, easy, and mostly found as one nears the summit ridge.

This face makes for a good descent after climbing other routes on the peak - the routefinding is not too hard, there are numerous options, and the sandy parts are far more fun to descend rather than to ascend.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hurd PeakRoutes