West Gully, 1000' Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
bighigaz

bighigaz - Dec 23, 2002 12:16 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Okay, so Bob Kerry's description was a little vague, but it was enough to get us to the top. We got a little ambitious when we arrived at 11:30 am, with no previous intention, during the morning at least, to climb the West Gully. But we somehow got it in our heads and found it to be quite an adventure... we actually did a lot more of 3rd and 4th class scrambling than technical climbing, but we managed to "rope up" for five pitches, 3 of which were a full ropes length, two were about half. Following the path of least resistance, as naturally as you can to the small saddle near the top was basically our route of choice. It worked out nicely, and the saddle proved to be quite a daunting place... As we climbed out on to the narrow slot, the other side dropped off nearly vertically for a thousand feet as we scrambled up exposed 4th class to the last rope up spot. Most of the climbing was pretty loose, so we had to be carefull not to pound each other with rocks- or not to take a nasty tumble. The views were amazing. I felt more like I was in a maze than "just climbing a mountain." We felt like a couple of mountain goats gradually finding our way up the terrain... that's pretty much how it should be done I suppose. I think summiting this peak was one of the best feelings of "topping out" I have ever experienced. Getting down was another story...

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'West Gully, 1000'' main page