West Mountain Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Dean

Dean - Sep 13, 2008 8:32 am - Voted 10/10

The summit structure

I've been up West Mtn a couple times, but the first time I only went to the spot with the towers (6830')so I had to go back to claim the higher spot. Well anyway, a neighbor of mine here in Lehi is one of the folks who put the triangulation station structure up on the highpoint. You will also find the same type of structure on top of Timpanogos, Spanish Fork Peak, Lake Mountain and View BM (Traverse area near point of the Mountain)He mentioned another one but I can't remember where he said it was at. The effort to get one atop Mt. Timpanogos was epic and darn near cost him his life. I'll try and post a couple pics when I get the time. The best time to drive to where the towers are located is a weekend, early to avoid traffic on the narrow road.

A small observatory is located on West Mtn. You might want to add a comment or two about it although it isn't open to the public.

Also, West Mountain is not totally 'inconsequential' as it is one of Utah's 81 prominence peaks, coming in at #74 with 2100+ feet of prominence. You might want to note that on your front page and as a prominence bagger, it was the reason why most of the folks who chase prominence go there. The peak with the towers north is actually 6830' high (see this link). John Kirk of Lists of John fame has done a ton of work on the Utah peaks, big and small. Thanks for taking the time to put this page up, it has been one that I've felt deserved a page and I appreciate your southern approach. I'll go back and try that route up when I get a chance.

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 15, 2008 1:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The summit structure

The Elevation of the North Peak seems to vary from site to site. The elevation I list as 6804 ft is confirmed on http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=3294256, but http://www.ontargetbsa.org/utcopeaks.htm#west lists the elevation as 6816 ft, and the link you provide lists it as 6830 ft. Do you have a lot of confidence in the site you reference? If so I will change it to 6830. Fortunately it is not the high peak elevation that is in question.

I'll try to include something about the prominence and a bit about the observatory (which I did find very interesting, thanks).

Dean

Dean - Sep 16, 2008 1:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: The summit structure

It is an irritant that three different sites give three different elevations. I would go with the one you are most comfortable with.
The one I used was Lists of John info. I will have to check my GPS readings from that area but most likely that won't change anything since GPS readings are often variable.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'West Mountain' main page