West Peak Trail (std)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.37560°N / 104.9931°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 walkup
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trailhead is located at Cordova Pass (11,248 ft.). See TH info on the main page.

From the Cordoba Pass TH take the signed West Peak Trail. Below treeline this is a pleasant class 1 walk through woods and meadows. It gains and loses a little altitude along this couple mile stretch. You will pass signed turnoffs for two other trails along the way. The turnoffs are clearly marked. In this area there are camping opportunities if you don't mind carrying your water.

Route Description

A short series of switchbacks brings you to a large cairn at treeline and the start of the class 2 terrain. From here the trail fades in and out of existance. Simply begin hiking directly up the moderately steep scree and talus ridge while connecting short, braided trail segments where possible. Continue to the false summit.

At the false summit an obvious trail leads directly to the visible summit. Figure on 2.5 - 3 hours to the summit.

Descend the ascent route.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear and a camera for the non-snow season.

I have never hiked the route with snow, however, I suspect an axe or perhaps even just poles are all that you need. I welcome any firsthand accounts/info from winter climbs.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.