West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.55890°N / 120.8458°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Eightmile Lakes Trailhead. After approximately 2.5 miles, you will reach Little eightmile lake and the intersection with the Lake Caroline Trail. Take a right at this intersection and begin switchbacking trail through the 1994 burn area. Hike past the Caroline Lakes, onward to Windy Pass. From here, follow the West Ridge to the saddle (approx. 8000' elev.) just west of the main part of Mount Cashmere.

Route Description


(originally posted as a comment to the Main Cashmere Mountain page by SP Member Klenke on 10/10/2004)

From the 8,000-ft saddle west of Cashmere, climb up the brief rock-strewn sandy/grassy slopes until a rock buttress forces you out onto the North Face slope. Contour across the north slope keeping an eye out for small cairns. Depending on season (early or late) you may want an ice axe. The slope is steep enough and harbors enough snow patches to make things interesting. At about two-thirds of the way across the slope the route begins climbing up (maybe 100 yards before the North Ridge is reached). The route climbs up to a notch right (west) of the North Ridge. The final scramble is on the south side.

Possible alternate route: If the north slopes are too icy but the south slopes are dry, it may be possible to climb a gully about 100 vertical feet down south of the steepening West Ridge buttress. Climb this gully to its head on a SW spur ridge, cross into the next gully over, then climb this gully to the E-W crest about 100 yards west of the summit. A simple scramble (Class 3) along the crest gets one to the summit.


Essential Gear


In mid-late summer, this route can be done with nothing more than the "10 essentials" and some good hiking boots. Earlier ascents may require the use of an ice axe to negotiate steep snow sections.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.