West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.77240°N / 104.9933°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From FS 379Almagre Mountain South comes into view from FS 379


This route is relatively short with minimal elevation gain and provides a lot of bang for the buck. A brief bushwacking section connects a road walk to a trail up the backside of the Almagre massif, and then a short but steep ridge-run takes the hiker to the summit.

Roundtrip Distance: 3.5 miles
Net Elevation Gain: 1750 feet
YDS Rating: Class 2

Getting There

Sheep Mountain from the West RidgeSheep Mountain from the West Ridge
Pikes Peak from the west ridgePikes Peak from the west ridge

This trailhead is at the junction of FS 376 and FS 379. The drive from behind the Broadmoor (southwest of Colorado Springs) is on graded dirt roads and suitable for passenger cars.

• Exit 138 west from Highway I-25 on Lake Avenue/Circle Drive. Soon you will be looking at the front of the Broadmoor Hotel.
• Follow signs to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, leading you to the right around the hotel until you get to the Old Stage Road.
• Take Old Stage Road (FDR 368) into the mountains/uphill for 6.5 miles from this point where it runs into to Gold Camp Road (FDR 370).
• Follow Gold Camp Road to the west for roughly ten miles, passing the Rosemont Reservoir SWA, the turnoff to Frosty Park and FS 370C (Gould Creek Road).
• Turn right/north on FS 376.
• Continue on FS 376 northbound for about 4.75 miles. Park at the junction of FS 376 and rustic FS 379. (A Utilities gate will block further passage to the north.)

Route Description

Pikes Peak GranitePikes Peak Granite
Typical West Ridge ConditionsTypical West Ridge Conditions

• Begin hiking east on rugged FS 379. The beginning of the hike is steep and rocky.
• After about one mile you will arrive on a relatively level, wooded plateau. Leave the trail and head northeast, either going over or traversing around an unranked hump.
• In the saddle between the unranked hump and Almagre Mountain South you’ll encounter a fence line.
• Head due east for about one mile to the summit. Shortly after departing the saddle the hike becomes quite steep Class 2 up the western ridge of Almagre Mountain South.
• Arrive among the communications structure and repeater towers.
• Enjoy the views of the Sawatch and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, then retrace your steps to return to your vehicle.

West Ridge Route, Almagre Mountain South

Essential Gear

Looking south from the summitLooking south from the summit
End of a great dayEnd of a great day


• Trail map (Trails Illustrated #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City) would meet most needs)
• Compass
• Sturdy hiking boots
• Snowshoes or skis after a heavy snowfall
• Water and snacks
• A camera to save memories of the high country views
• First aid kit
• Other standard backcountry essentials


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.