West Ridge Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-11 of 11

CallMeBrown - Feb 14, 2016 8:01 pm Date Climbed: Jun 19, 2015

Solo ascent. Climb was super fun  Sucess!

Left car at Thielsen parking lot 6a. Cruised up easy trail to cut off to West Ridge. Scrambled up West Ridge, trying to pick the best way through some loose rocks near the top of the ridge. Summit pinnacle looked so cool and the exposure down the one side was airy! Picked my way up what looked to be the easiest route and summited at 730a. Was definitely class 3 but rock was solid. Spent about 30 minutes on top especially enjoying the view to Crater Lake and what used to be Mount Mazama. Down climbed summit pinnacle and made my way back to the car by 930a. If you haven't climbed it, you should.

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Dec 10, 2012 4:37 pm Date Climbed: Dec 8, 2012

December on Thielsen  Sucess!

Successfully ascended the west ridge and finished on 80 ft of M3-4 with massive amount of rime ice. far easier to follow than to lead. full trip report to follow.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm Date Climbed: Jul 22, 2012

The Highlight Of My Trip  Sucess!

I asked Thor and Zeus to each keep their lightning spears away while I was at the mountain. ;-)

The Mount Thielsen Trail was easy, then the climber's trail was enjoyable and scenic, and then the last 80' ascent was the icing on the mountain cake. First successful summiter of the day, and solo. At the ledge I enjoyed the company of Marie and Gene (the latter of whom summited right after me), and I had several great conversations with climbers during the descent. Several of them convinced me that I should visit nearby Mount Scott while I was in the area, and that I could not hope for better weather. I became convinced to tag another Top 100 peak that was not on my original "to do" list for this trip. But, ultimately, Mount Thielsen was the highlight of my weekend.

This was the fourth (and, in my opinion, the best) of seven Top 100 peaks summited in Oregon during a 3-1/2 day timeframe.

nicozone

nicozone - Jul 23, 2012 3:27 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2012

Mazama Climb  Sucess!

Went on a Mazama climb for this one. The weather couldn't have been any nicer; blue skies without a single cloud. We roped up for the summit pinnacle, since we were a group of 10 and the club policy says you have to. But I don't think I will rope up again next time I go on my own.

cdog

cdog - Aug 4, 2011 1:31 pm Date Climbed: May 26, 2003

Memorial Day success  Sucess!

first time up was Memorial Day 2003. Weather was iffy all weekend, and my girlfriend and I spent the first couple nights in a tent on the west ridge. Finally on Monday the weather cleared and I was able to run up to the top. Awesome looking mountain.

brizza

brizza - Jul 5, 2010 4:23 pm Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2009

She said YES!  Sucess!

Proposed to Gillian at the summit and she said yes! This mountain will always be a very significant symbol in our lives.

mtncorg

mtncorg - Jan 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice scree!  Sucess!

I agree that you can find a Class 3 route at the top. Great views and a magnificent scree ski on the return.

JGHarrison

JGHarrison - Jul 27, 2009 3:35 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2009

hot as hell  Sucess!

fun climb, trail was easy to follow because of the hordes of people

forjan

forjan - Jun 10, 2009 8:27 pm Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2009

Early start.....iffy weather  Sucess!

Started early (~ 6:30AM) in order to avoid the late morning thunderstorms. Summited by 9:05AM with snow flurries coming down. Approx 5 hrs car-to-car.

big_g

big_g - Jun 16, 2006 2:35 am Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2003

What a fun finish!  Sucess!

I'd call this classic class 3 although no doubt class 4 is available. My partner and I didn't have much info on the route and were pleasantly surprise by the summit pyramid. What a fun finish!

2skinners - Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2005

Not this time.

Unsuccessful, will try again in 2006.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'West Ridge' main page