Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.40045°N / 3.09797°W
Additional Information County: Cumbria
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2500 ft / 762 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wetherlam EdgeWetherlam Edge

Wetherlam can provide a fantastic mountaineering experience thanks to its two relatively quiet 'edges'. The most exciting route to the top is via Steel Edge and then the descent via Wetherlam Edge which are explained in the routes section. The summit is at 2500ft so above the Little Langdale Valley so offers amazing views north to the higher peaks of Helvellyn and Fairfield. Another popular but less demanding ridge linked to Wetherlam is Prison Band between it and Swirl How.

Getting There

Tilberthwaite is the start location if you are intended in heading up either Wetherlam Edge or Steel Edge. Tilberthwaite is signposted off the A593 between Ambleside and Coniston and offers free parking.

Alternatively there is parking in Coniston (the most popular place is Walna Scar Road car park which is free).

To get to The Lake District itself, from the north follow the M6 south past Carlisle and to Penrith. Take the A66 West and you will arrive in Keswick in the North Lakes after about 18 Miles. From the East the best road to take is the A66 across the Pennines to Penrith and then continue to Keswick followed by the A591 south to Ambleside. From the South you can either take the M6 north to Kendal and then the A591 to Windermere and Ambleside, or continue to get the A66 and then west to Keswick. Of coming from the south east then the A1(m) North is the best route to Scotch Corner and then follow the A66 west to Penrith and then to Keswick.

Red Tape

No red tape.

Camping

Steel EdgeSteel Edge

The closest campsites are located at the end of Great Langdale (National Trust campsite) and another site just a mile south of Coniston.

External Links

Wetherlam Photos and Information

Routes

Routes up WetherlamRoutes up Wetherlam

Listed here are 4 possible routes up Wetherlam:

Route 1 - Red
This is probably the most common route to ascend Wetherlam, where it is linked in with a trip up Coniston Old Man, Brim Fell and Swirl How. From Swirl How the route descends the easy rocky ridge called Prison Band and then ascends along the north side of Black Sails and onto Wetherlam.

Route 2 - Purple
The Purple Route is for a more direct ascent of Wetherlam by missing out any of the other fells and ascends directly up to the hause between Swirl How and Wetherlam. It is the easiest of the routes up with fairly well defined paths and little rock.

Route 3 - Green
The green route is often used in descent rather than ascent if climbing from Tilberthwaite side. The ridge is fairly simple and rated just below a grade 1 scramble. The route follows well defined paths on Birk Fell Man and an obvious rocky ridge to the summit.

Route 4 - Blue
This is the best route up Wetherlam and fairly quiet. Starting off at Tilberthwaite the route follows a path high above Yewdale Beck and round to the bottom of Steel Edge. The edge starts off just on grass but gets progressivly harder the higher you go. Nothing exceeds a grade 1 scramble and there is little exposure. From the top of the edge the path turns north-north west up to the summit.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks