Whacme Mountain (Haner Mountain) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Peaker

Peaker - May 30, 2017 2:09 pm Date Climbed: Apr 9, 2017

Haner/Whacme  Sucess!

The road is pretty steep and would be good conditioning running or on a bike, that's probably the only thing that could bring me back.

rangermike

rangermike - Mar 31, 2017 11:09 pm Date Climbed: Mar 31, 2017

Whacme/ Haner  Sucess!

That is a long way to go for a low elevation peak with little view. Unless you recognize that before hand, then its not too bad. Keep your expectations low, and it's not a bad training hike. Trees at the summit are getting tall and thick, so finding the true high point is a little difficult.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Oct 7, 2016 8:08 pm

Long Boring Walk Under Power Lines

Redwic says I'm not a prominencian, but for some odd reason I was willing to walk up this boring hill. Scratches head...

P2k 81/144

I did the south peak as well which according to Grant Meyers has 440' of clean prominence.

This is definitely a bicycle route, but unfortunately I was with some folks who hate bicycles.

CEIGE

CEIGE - Aug 17, 2015 1:06 am Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2015

Run  Sucess!

Incorporated all three in to my run today. Great views of Baker and Twin Sisters even through the smoke. Would be a great place to watch the sun set over the San Juans.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Jul 20, 2013 6:37 pm Date Climbed: Jul 20, 2013

Whacme Mountain  Sucess!

Nice quick trip on the bike. Several good view spots on the way up, and on the summit. A surprising amount of the route is unshaded - make sure you start early if it will be a hot day. I let the GPS get good and stable on the summit with 10 satellite reception (RAIM showed 9' maximum error) - the elevation locked in at 3103' and did not budge. On Big Foot, the same methods two days earlier (similar atmospheric conditions) yielded 3079' and 3073' for the south and north summits, respectively. I can say with a high level of certainty that Whacme Mountain is the high point on this ridge. Had no access issues - no signs on the upper route, and no requirements for a Discovery Pass at the trailhead.

Dundeel

Dundeel - Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Me got Whac'ed, 2008  Sucess!

Did this one in winter. Couple of feet of snow on the summit. Did Bigfoot Left and Bigfoot Right in the Spring.

Dean

Dean - Jan 9, 2011 12:15 pm Date Climbed: Jul 7, 2010

Second of the day  Sucess!

Dennis Poulin and I did this one after doing Mt. Pilchuck earlier in the day.

Redwic

Redwic - Jan 3, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Ringing In The New Year!

*That* experience will be posted later this evening.
I've seen too much of the South Fork Nooksack River Valley during these P2K expeditions!

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 3, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Ringing In The New Year!

Which way did you and EE go to get BFH?

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jan 3, 2011 11:51 am Date Climbed: Feb 10, 2007

Whacme  Sucess!

I did this via the Powerline Road on a nice clear day and there was surprisingly little snow. Not a great hike but good exercise and it does have good views of Baker and the Twin Sisters.

Redwic

Redwic - Jan 3, 2011 2:24 am Date Climbed: Jan 1, 2011

Ringing In The New Year!  Sucess!

With the extensive logging activity on Whacme Mountain, I was not expecting much in terms of aesthetics. In that sense, I was correct. However, the sky was clear and the wind was non-existent, making for fabulous conditions to see the San Juan Islands, Canadian peaks, Mount Baker, Twin Sisters, Sumas Mountain, Big Foot Hill, Lyman Hill, Anderson Mountain, and other nearby peaks from the summit. Having already done Big Foot Hill one week earlier, Edward & I were happy to have reached all three prominence contenders for the ridge. There are some interesting trails with unsigned junctions on the lower half of the route, which are feasible to use.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Whacme Mountain (Haner Mountain)' main page