White Cross Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.86130°N / 72.1083°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

Mt. Monadnock via White Cross Trail
Elevation Gain 1800 feet
2.2 miles one way



The White Cross is slightly less popular route then the White Cross Trail. Like the White Dot Trail this trail has a number of small scrambles but these scramble are less intense then the White Dot Trail. The trail is also much easier then the White Dot Trail for descent.

The trail start out as a moderate rise up Mt. Monandock through the lower forest. At roughly 0.75 miles in runs into the Cascade Link which will link it to the White Cross Trail. The link with stay level and is rather uneventful until you reach the White Cross Trail. White Cross Trail then begins climbing up at a moderate grade. The well warn rocky trail alternate up moderate pitch trail and steeper scrambles, though none of scrambles are as challenging as the White Dot trail. The White Cross will then with the White Dot Trail just before the summit cone. The merged trails will then climb up the class 2 exposed southern section of Mt. Monadnock to the scenic summit.

Approach

VIA THE MONADNOCK STATE PARK TRAILHEAD: Head west from the town of Jaffery. Two miles on your right you will see a sign pointing to Monadnock State Park. Head up two miles to the to toll gate ($3.00 per person).



Essential Gear

In summer, essential hiking gear and a tolerance of people. In winter crampons and trekking poles are required for this trip.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.