Viewing: 1-4 of 4
nader

nader - Sep 25, 2011 2:42 pm - Voted 10/10

One of those

peaks that I have seen on the map and day dreamed about. Thank you for the good info and pictures.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 25, 2011 3:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One of those

Thank you so much for your comment. There is also a way to get up there from Ouray side via Twin Peaks and Oak Creek trail. I was told that it is more difficult and harder to find your way (basically no trail after a couple of miles). I had not time to investigate that side of the mountain much.

RyanS

RyanS - Oct 9, 2011 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

15 Miles?

Are you sure? I've mapped this out in the past using TOPO!, and while I'm surely missing some of the route's intricacies, my plot should be reasonably close to the mark at 9.5 miles -- it crosses all your waypoints. I'd guess that at most it's 10.5 miles.

Your elevation gain seems spot on. Great addition to the site!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 9, 2011 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 15 Miles?

My GPS read 14.5 miles, but I took a side tour (partially by mistake), and walked all the way to the north side of Potosi, and ended up much further west (past both Ridgeway and Whitehouse). Also, the route directly to Whitehouse is very steep, it was easier the way I went. I also lost camera cap and tried to find it. I spend a lot of time off the path higher up, which I lost, or not sure if there is one. There are many cliffs bands if you continue directly up from Wheehawken trail.
I know that there is another trail starting directly from Ouray. I will try to investigate this one more this summer. It would be class 4/low 5th class scramble near the top.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Whitehouse Mountain' main page