Wildhorse Meadows to Sugarloaf Mountain

Wildhorse Meadows to Sugarloaf Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.19800°N / 116.814°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View along the way!



Sugarloaf Mountain is the highest point in the Big Bear Lake area. It has a prominence value of P1952. There are rich stands of Sierra Juniper and Limber Pine along this route. The route starts in Wildhorse Meadows which is a beautiful rare and protected alpine meadow right in Southern California.

Getting There



Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38). Go one block east, then go north 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue. Turn right on SR 38 and head towards the mountains. Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart Bar Campground, on the right, keep going straight. Go another 2.2 miles on SR 38 to a dirt road, 2N93, on the left. Turn left and follow 2N93 (dirt, high clearance 2W okay) for 6.0 miles to Wildhorse Meadows at a saddle where there is a gated dirt road on the left and a shot up abandoned car on the right next to logs. Park just before this fork near the logs. As far as is signed you do not need a Adventure Pass to park on this saddle.

Route Description



From the parking area find the remains of a dirt road which starts south of the gated dirt road through a gap in the fence. Hike west up this abandoned road along the ridge and down into a saddle with a sign "Sugarloaf Trail" at a trail junction (8972'). Continue on the west on the faint road which eventually becomes a trail. Follow the trail west along the ridge, down into a saddle and then up to the summit where you will find a few summit signs.

Roundtrip is around 6 miles with 1600 feet of gain.

Essential Gear

You will want the usual dayhiking gear, especially sun protection and water.

External Links

Go to San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions.

Sugarloaf Mountain is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.