Wilson Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Aug 31, 2006 8:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Another

13er for the Uintas. Both Wilson Peak and Red Castle look like fun mountains to climb.

gjagiels

gjagiels - Aug 31, 2006 8:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another

Thanks! Yes, Red Castle is definately very cool and looks fun to climb, it didn't look like there were many possibilities. Perhaps from the east, I didn't see any easy way up!

Scott

Scott - Sep 1, 2006 2:47 am - Hasn't voted

Red Castle

Yes, Red Castle is definately very cool and looks fun to climb, it didn't look like there were many possibilities. Perhaps from the east, I didn't see any easy way up!

No easy way from the east either! The higher peak on the south of the complex which is labeled as "Red Castle" on Kelsey's maps (and my peak list) is fairly easy to climb, and I have done so, but the "real Red Castle" on the topo map and what is seen from the north is a ranked peak (Red Castle Spire on my list) and much more difficult to climb. One ranger in the early 1990's when I worked in the Uintas even went as far as telling me it was unclimbed, but I'm not sure if it is just a myth. There is a good possiblity that it isn't true as I have heard other similar claims about peaks before that turned out to not be the case.

In any case, Red Castle (the real one) would be a very challenging mountain from any direction, and there is certainly not an easy way up.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Wilson Peak' main page