Winnedumah Paiute Monument, I, 5.5

Winnedumah Paiute Monument, I, 5.5

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.73590°N / 117.9858°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Driving north on Highway 395 through the town of Independence, most of us have noticed the historic Winnedumah Hotel opposite the Inyo County Court House.

However, those of us, who know where to look, can readily pick out the other (hikers and climbers might say far more interesting) Winnedumah, The Paiute Monument, high on the distant eastern skyline.

This Winnedumah Paiute Monument, an 80-foot rock monolith is all the more spectacular because of its location-at the top of the Inyo Crest, at the low point of a long saddle, about half way between Mt. Inyo and Waucoba Mountain.

If you stop your vehicle at the southern end of Independence at the intersection of Hwy 395 and Mazourka Canyon Road, you can spot this incredible blade of rock, some 12 miles to the east. It towers above the peaks and crags surrounding it.

The Monument is named for Winnedumah, a Paiute medicine man (whose brother was the great Paiute Chief Tinnemaha). According to Paiute legend, he was transformed into this rock while invoking the help of the "great spirit" during the battle with the Digger Indians.

Getting There

Winnedumah is best approached (with high clearance vehicle) from Independence via Mazourka Canyon Road, which heads east off Highway 395 just south of town. Drive on the Mazourka Canyon Road for 8.4 miles. Turn RIGHT onto a very reasonable dirt road which has a gate (always open). Drive on this dirt road for about 1.9 miles uphill until you find a large (2-3 cars) flat spot on your RIGHT(See Photo).

This parking spot is also a great camping site with the most incredible views of the Whitney and Williamson Massifs.

Accross the road from this parking spot is an old mining dirt track going steeply uphill. The track is blocked by small boulders and includes a wilderness area sign prohibiting motorized access(See Photo). To reach the Monument, follow this old mining track for about 1.6 miles uphill just past a large flat spot on the RIGHT side.

From this flat spot head EAST, crossing several ravines and minor gullies. Soon the Monument becomes visible and you can go straight for it. The distance to it is approximately 2.0 miles.

One ancounters less of a large-boulder scramble if the monolith is finally reached from its SW side. The total distance from the camping spot is about 3.5 miles one way.

Route Description

The existing 5.4 or 5.5 route is on the NE side of the formation. It consists of about 100 feet of fairly steep face climbing with 2 beefy bolts and a wired piece placement(small to medium (#6?) BD Stopper) some 20 feet above the second bolt. There are no other protection possibilities. The rock is solid and provides for an enjoyable friction climb.

There are two large bolts on the top to assist with descending. Our 60m rope was plenty long to reach the ground via a pleasant rappel.

Essential Gear

60 meter rope. A few small to mid sized wired pieces to make a placement above the second bolt, three slings with two biners each to clip the two bolts and the placement above. Don't forget your harness,rock shoes and belay/rappel device.

The Monument is at elevation of 8,369'. The hike is most enjoyable in late fall and early spring to avoid the innevitable heat of the Owens Valley in mid summer and snow in the winter.

Please note that even though the route is short, the approach, climb and return to your vehicle will/might take most of a day!

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
tiogap

tiogap - Oct 24, 2011 2:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Road Conditions

after turning off of the Mazourkas Canyon Road, the road that passes through the aforementioned gate is quite steep in a couple of places. The crux of the road is just past the gate.

tiogap

tiogap - Oct 24, 2011 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Rating

I found this route to be very easy. No harder than 5.3

asmrz

asmrz - Oct 24, 2011 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Rating

Were you there with Todd Gordon's party this past weekend? This is what Todd wrote on Supertopo about the route: "Approach is 3.5 miles...all uphill.....first 1.5 on a steep mining road, ...next 2.0 is crosscountry with up and down gullys and ravines, and boulder scrambling/hopping....approach time over 3 hours with over 3000' elevation gain. Climbing is 5.5 with 2 bolts, a small wire stopper, and the formation is about 80' high.....alot of strenous hiking for a wee climb with great panaramic views..... There was a register there.....it gets climbed maybe 10 times a year......." So the route is either 5.3,5.4 or 5.5, depending on who does the talking. In my book, it is about 5.5

Another Smith - May 9, 2023 10:18 am - Hasn't voted

Bolts chopped

It seems the bolts protecting the climbing were chopped (expertly too—can’t even tell where they once were). I believe they were cut in 2019 in association with a local indigenous group. Can confirm that as of May 2023, there is no fixed pro on the climb aside from two rap bolts on top. Bolts and rings in good condition. Summit register in a soggy mess— plastic canister was not near water-proof enough for last winter!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.