Viewing: 1-11 of 11
nartreb

nartreb - Feb 2, 2007 7:39 pm - Voted 10/10

a promising start

Please give a bit larger-scale geographic overview for those of us who would need a long time to find Chitina and Slana on a map. What part of Alaska are we talking about? Talk about where this range fits in: is it part of a larger mountain system; what other ranges are nearby, and how this range compares. Any geological tidbits would be welcome too. On a related note, you list the latitude and longitude for this range as being near Yuma, Arizona.

You should attach, as children of this page, the SP pages for mountains in this range.

You've got too many large photos for my taste - so many you seem not to have noticed that you've got two sections titled "Weather".

For an area approaching Switzerland in size there ought to be more to say. Do different parts of the range have differing characters? I'm also surprised that your Getting There section is so brief. Is there really only one road anywhere near it?
As many serious mountaineers will be travelling to Alaska by air, you might want to mention the nearest major airports and include what you can about car rental, shuttle buses, and any other modes of travel.

Can you provide a map? (hint: maps produced by the USGS are in the public domain.)

Despite my numerous criticisms, most of the essentials for a good page are in place.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Feb 2, 2007 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: a promising start

Yes, this section is still under construction, I now have some admin privileges so I will continue to add more information as I find time. Thanks for the input!

-DM

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Feb 3, 2007 4:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a promising start

The page is basically finished now ;)

nartreb

nartreb - Feb 3, 2007 4:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: a promising start

An excellent page now! One final suggestion is to add another sentence or two (and/or maybe a small relief map) to more clearly distinguish/compare/delineate this range from its neighbors, particularly the St Elias range within the same park. Is Chitistone Pass the boundary with the St Elias?

TLP

TLP - Feb 3, 2007 7:45 pm - Voted 10/10

cool stuff

Thanks for making this page. I think its great.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Feb 3, 2007 8:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: cool stuff

Thanks, and thanks for your vote.

Corax

Corax - Apr 10, 2007 4:55 am - Voted 10/10

Link to Sanford

Just wanted to let you know the links to Mt Sanford take you to a deleted page.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Apr 10, 2007 4:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Link to Sanford

Thanks, apparently the page was detached due to poor quality.

climberben

climberben - Feb 15, 2013 6:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Mount Wood

Just thought I would let you know Mount Wood is not part of the Wrangell Mountains and is considered part of the St. Elias Range. Also Atna Peaks 13860' and Parka Peak 13280' could be added to the list. I am not sure what the criteria you are using for a peak to make this list.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Aug 18, 2016 8:03 am - Voted 10/10

Informative Page

Thanks for this page. FYI, the link from the U.S. National Parks page was broken, so I've replaced it with this one. Also, in the description of the drive out to Nabesna, you might mention that once you pass the small airport in Nabesna there is a parking lot. Past that parking lot the road is not maintained. I drove it a few weeks ago and would not recommend it for anyone who doesn't have high clearance and four wheel drive. Or anyone who cares about their vehicle paint being scratched up by brush on both sides. At the end, four miles further, is Nabesna mine. Not nearly as impressive as that at Kennecott, but we had the mine completely to ourselves. If interested, there are a few images of the area in this public album on FB (you'll have to scroll down) ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207430558943079.1073742020.1260697505&type=1&l=945d2a9f5f

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Sep 23, 2016 4:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Informative Page

Thanks, Mark! I'll update this right away.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Wrangell Mountains' main page