Xeni Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.97005°S / 29.12499°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Very difficulty for a hiking route
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pass name: Xeni Pass Region: Didima Nature Reserve, Northern KZN Drakensberg Distance from the parking to the top: 15km Difficulty: extreme (8)* Scenery: exceptional! Route type: ROCK Risks: difficult scrambling, exposed in places, no trail

Unnamed Image
Xeni Pass from the bottom

Xeni Pass is in the cutback between Leopard Peak and Mlambonja Buttress. It probably gets more traffic than one might expect due to it being in one of the most popular areas of the Drakensberg. But don't let this route fool you, it is one of the hardest passes in the range, and has had at least one fatality in the past.

Getting There

The hike starts from the Cathedral Peak Hotel parking lot. If you ask Google Maps for directions to the hotel, it should find the exact spot easily enough. You can either park at the boom gate which is the normal hikers parking, and then walk up the hill to the hotel for the start of the trail, or pay the entrance fee at the gate (currently R50 per vehicle). The entrance fee at the gate gets you a small discount at the hotel, so as an added bonus, you can get something to eat and drink after the hike.

Make sure you stop at the Ezemvelo Didima Offices to buy your hiking permits and complete the rescue register.

From Johannesburg: 1) Take the N3 South (Durban) to Harrismith. Turn right at Harrismith (towards Bethlehem). 2) Roughly 15km out of the town, turn left for Bergville. 3) Drive through Bergville, and shortly after leaving the town, turn right at the sign for Didima/Cathedral Peak Hotel. 4) After a few kilometers, turn right again at another sign that says Didima/Cathedral Peak Hotel. 5) Don't turn off again - this road ends at the hotel.

From Durban: 1) Take the N3 North (Johannesburg) till the Winterton/Colenso offramp. 2) Turn right towards Winterton. 3) At Winterton, turn left at the traffic lights. 4) After roughly 1km, turn right at the first turnoff. 5) After about 10km, the road will hit a T-junction. Turn right at this junction. 6) After about 1km, turn left at a sign that says Didima/Cathedral Peak Hotel. 7) Don't turn off again - this road ends at the hotel.

Route Description

Follow the road up the hill behind the hotel past the phone tower. When the road becomes dirt, look out for a split, at which you go right. You will soon find yourself on a soccer field. Follow the trail from the far side of the field, and whenever you see a turnoff, pick the side that says Neptune Pools.

The trail will eventually start to zig-zag up a large hill, before reaching the contour path at a particularly scenic spot. Turn left on the contour path and follow it till it hits a large riverbed - which is the Xeni River.

Unnamed Image
Pyramid and Column with Cleft Peak in the distance, as seen from Neptune Hill

Boulder hop up the river, the riverbed is easier than the overgrown slopes next to it for most of the distance. When the obviously gully to your left breaks off (Cockade Pass), continue straight - which will feel more like turning right.

Unnamed Image
Looking towards Xeni Pass from where you leave the contour path

Initially it is necessary to move left onto the steep grassy slopes to bypass some waterfalls. There is a large rock pinnacle which you walk behind.

Unnamed Image
Steep scrambling on the lower section of the pass

Eventually the grass slopes lead you back into the gully. Occasionally it is necessary to break out of the gully to bypass an obstacle, but for the most part, the gully is the easiest option.

Unnamed Image
One of the many scrambles to bypass a waterfall
Unnamed Image
The view high up on the pass

Near the top, a large chockstone covers the gully - the famous wormhole, and probably the best part of the pass. Walk under it, and follow the obvious line up the spiral staircase till you are on top of it. Walk over the rock bridge in the middle to complete a perfect spiral and continue up the gully - which is easier after this.

Unnamed Image
The chockstone/wormhole

To an experienced hiker with a good head for heights and that is competent with scrambling - this route is well worth it. However, if you do not do fit those conditions, I would strongly discourage you from using this route.

Essential Gear

A hauling rope is a good idea for this route, as you might want to haul your packs up some of the scrambles.

Otherwise standard Drakensberg hiking gear is required - a good raincoat, warm fleece, good shoes etc.

Unnamed Image
The Pyramid and Column from high up on Xeni Pass

External Links

https://www.vertical-endeavour...



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.