Y Mountain Comments

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Tracy

Tracy - Sep 11, 2006 4:06 am - Hasn't voted

Nice work!

Thanks for adding another Wasatch Peak to the SP site. I would just note that the highest point of "Y" Mountain shows as an elevation of 8568 feet according to the USGS map. It is also further east than the more noticeable west peak which offers better views and appears to be at an elevation of approx. 8530 feet.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 11, 2006 5:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work!

Thanks for the elevation info. I was looking at the Wasatch South Range page, and when I noticed that Y Mountain didn't have a page I thought it would be a good idea to add it.

grunt

grunt - Sep 11, 2006 5:23 am - Voted 10/10

It's about time!

Glad to see Y Mountain get a page. I've often thought of doing one, but since I haven't hiked all the way up, I figured I'd wait. FYI, BYU Athletics has a nice little page with the history of the Y, and the BYU Bookstore has a webcam of Y Mountain. They might make interesting "external links".

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Sep 11, 2006 11:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It's about time!

I didn't know that BYU's web site had all of that. I've attached the links at the bottom of the page.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jul 13, 2007 4:22 am - Voted 9/10

looks like a pretty area

...based on the beautifully-colored pictures you've posted of it--just the kind of gem of a place that because of being towered over by Timp, would be overlooked and underappreciated, were it not for the...well, let's just say that for some reason Nirvana's "Territorial Pissings" pops into my head when I think about that big Y ;) Nice job on the page, though.

hyperphil

hyperphil - Aug 3, 2008 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: looks like a pretty area

Ha! I once heard someone say that if Lindon would put an "L" above the city, you would have U G L Y stretching from SLC to Provo.

kwag

kwag - Mar 29, 2008 5:34 pm - Hasn't voted

avalanche comment

I wouldn't regard Y mountain as avalanche safe all year. Hiking today in slide canyon there was an avalanche path on the north side of maple mountain. It wasn't huge but it could still injure people.
Here is the link
http://www.summitpost.org/image/392304/270180/avalanche-path-in-slide-canyon.html

hyperphil

hyperphil - Aug 3, 2008 3:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: avalanche comment

The Maple Flats slide paths (there are three of them) usually pull out in the Spring, when the pack starts to morph. I have never seen their debris cover the trail. But, as usual, you have to use your head. People have been killed by roofalanches in their backyards.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Y Mountain' main page