Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.95450°N / 121.6819°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 1, 2019
Activities Activities: Hiking

Overview

The 6241 ft high Yellow Aster Butte rises in northern Washington State’s Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest 3 miles south of the Canadian border. A trail starts at an elevation of 3700 ft and goes 4.1 miles to reach the summit. From the top of Yellow Aster Butte you will have great views of the nearby jagged mountains including the 10778 ft Mt. Baker and the 9131 ft Mt. Shuksan.

Trip Report

Trailhead Elevation: 3700 ft

Highest Elevation Reached on this Hike: 6220 ft

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 8.0 miles

 

 Monday July 1, 2019

Left the vacation rental house in Warnick, WA at 4:45 a.m. and drove 15 miles west on Route 542 then turned on the dirt road Known as Twin Lakes Rd which had a few potholes but was certainly passable by sedan. After 4.5 miles, reached the trailhead. There were many cars at the trailhead, presumably belonging to people who had camped in the mountains. While I was getting ready, I saw a lone hiker starting on the trail ahead of me. I later saw him just below the summit. He was the only person I saw while hiking up the mountain.

 

Started my hike at 5:45 a.m. The trail made a number of switchbacks going up a grassy slope giving me great views of the rising sun over Mt. Baker.

Sunrise over Mt. Baker
Sunrise over Mt. Baker

I then entered a pine forest going up the slopes steeply until at around 5200 ft elevation, where a side trail branched to go to Gold Run Pass. The forest thinned out there and the steep grade of the trail went away. Yellow aster Butte was then seen across the valley to the west. Its main summit was hiding behind a lower point in front of it.

Point 6220 ft
Point 6220 ft

Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan both came to view.

Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
Mt. Shuksan
Mt. Shuksan

After a broad U-Turn at the end of the valley, the trail took me into the sunny side traversing the slopes of Yellow Aster Butte over a big snowfield.

Yellow Aster Butte
Yellow Aster Butte

Point 6220 ft to the south of the summit of Yellow Aster Butte.

Point 6220 ft
Point 6220 ft

Great view of the two summits of Goat Mountain. I hade climbed the West summit the previous day.

The two summits of Goat Mountain
The two summits of Goat Mountain

After another broad U-Turn on the trail, the beautiful Point 5933 ft and the lake filled basin below it appeared.

Point 5933 ft & Mt. Baker
Point 5933 ft & Mt. Baker

Was able to take its picture before it was gone.

On the trail
On the trail

I then reached another branch in the trail. Left went down to a basin at the base of Tomyhoi Peak and right went up toward Yellow Aster Butte. View of Yellow Aster Butte plus American Border Peak and Canadian Border Peak.

Yellow Aster Butte plus America & Canadian Border Peaks
Yellow Aster Butte plus America & Canadian Border Peaks

The trail went up steeply toward the top of Point 6220 ft. I was walking east looking right into the early morning sun. My face was in the bright sun requiring me to wear sunglasses but the trail was in the shade of the slope making it somewhat difficult to see where I was stepping. Got very hot and sweaty. Just before the top, I reached the guy whom I had seen at trailhead. He was walking down.

 

Reached the top of Point 6220 ft at 8:16 a.m. To reach the true summit, the trail seemed to go down 170 vertical feet, then up and down a small false summit. Going further did not seem to give me any better views so I decided to stay on top of Point 6220 ft. Views from the top:

 

The basin below Tomyhoi Peak.

Looking west
Looking west

Tomyhoi Peak.

Tomyhoi Mountain
Tomyhoi Mountain

Mt. Baker.

Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker

Mt. Shuksn, Mt. Sefrit and the two summits of Goat Mountain.

Mt. Suksan, Sfrit and Goat Mountain
Mt. Suksan, Sfrit and Goat Mountain

Yellow Aster Butte plus Canadian Border Peak, American Border Peak & Mt. Larrabee.

Yellow Aster Butte plus Canadian & American Border Peaks with Mt. Larrabee
Yellow Aster Butte plus Canadian & American Border Peaks with Mt. Larrabee

Winchester Mountain on the left.

Winchester Mountain
Winchester Mountain

Zoomed view of a waterfall on Tomyhoi Peak.

Zoomed view of waterfall of Tomyhoi Mountain
Zoomed view of waterfall of Tomyhoi Mountain

After eating and enjoying the views, I began to go back at 8:50 a.m. At the trail junction, I reached a couple who had camped in the basin below Tomyhoi Peak and were hiking back. I talked to them some but then stopped to let them get far ahead of me. Another view of Mt. Shuksan.

Mt. Shuksan, Sefrit & West Goat Mountain
Mt. Shuksan, Sefrit & West Goat Mountain

Looking back up at Point 6220 ft where I had been.

Point 6220 ft
Point 6220 ft

Mt. Larrabee.

Mt. Larrabee
Mt. Larrabee

Mt. Shuksan and the two summits of Goat Mountain.

Mt. Shuksan and the two summits of Goat Mountain
Mt. Shuksan and the two summits of Goat Mountain

Mt. Baker.

Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker

Back in the forest.

In the pine forest
In the pine forest

On the grassy slopes above the trailhead.

Point 6500 ft and Swamp Creek
Point 6500 ft and Swamp Creek
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker

 

Reached my car at 11:16 a.m.

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Yellow Aster ButteTrip Reports