Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge route

Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.41600°N / 13.68300°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow, Rock Climbing, Hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Rock climbing I-II, secured paths
Sign the Climber's Log

About Route


Starting point for this route is Vrsic road pass (1611m), 12 kilometers from Kranjska Gora resort. Vrsic pass accommodates 3 mountain huts; Erjavceva Koca hut (1525m), Ticarjev Dom hut (1620m) and Postarski Dom hut (1688m).

You can do this route in few combinations

1) Start early from the Vrsic, either by getting here by car early or sleep over in one of 3 huts. Return back in the same day (tough).

2) Durring the day reach Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge, sleep over and climb Jalovec in the morning. Return to Vrsic in the afternoon.

3)Durring the day reach Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge, sleep over and climb Jalovec in the morning. Return to Vrsic pass via Tamar hut and Sleme.

Vrsic pass – Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge: 4h


Path begins on the south side of pass, behind the small wooden souvenir house. It descends little bit firstly till it reaches bottom of smooth cliffs. After passing that point it begins to climb through the forest. When it reaches south slopes of Mojstrovka it flattens and continues mostly flat (few minor ups and downs) for next 1.30h. Most of the time you can see Trenta valley bellow and peaks behind it. 10 minutes behind the source bellow the Travnik is important junction of paths. Left path descends in Trenta valley, right one climbs to Jalovska Skrbina pass (Tamar routes, route 2) and further towards Jalovec. Our path continues straight and leaves the forest, entering large slopes bellow Jalovec and Veliki Ozebnik. Refuge is visible from distance, just bellow the needle called Spicek. Path ascends steeply in many sharp bends, firstly through dwarf pine after that over bare rock land with some grass.

Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge (2064m) stands on open slopes high above Trenta valley, just bellow Spicek needle (2192m). It has 30 beds and its open from end of June till the end of September. Winter room has 4 beds. View from the refuge is beautiful, behind the Trenta valley are Prisojnik, Razor, Triglav and many more peaks.

Zavetisce pod Spicko refuge – Jalovec: 2.30h


Path descends into the hollow, which is strewn with boulders, just bellow the cliffs of Veliki Ozebnik peak (2480m). Behind it, secured path, begins to climb steeply, using the system of shelves in the cliffs of Ozebnik. Views are beautiful all the time. After an hour of climbing path reaches a horizontal shelf, which takes us to the left, on Na Jezercih scree basin, where we are joined by path from Tamar valley and Jalovcev Ozebnik couloir.
Further path ascends above the edge of Loski Zleb couloir till it reaches summit pyramid cliffs. Over the steep and smooth shelves, which are secures by fixed ropes and pegs, it climbs to the left, than it turns straight up towards summit ridge. 15 more minutes till the summit over the beautiful sharp and panoramic ridge. Valleys on both sides are so deep bellow.

This panoramic path is easiest of all Jalovec approaches but is still demanding.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe are necessary in winter. In summer only usuall hiking gear, unless you are going back to Vrsic via Tamar hut.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

JalovecRoutes