SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Beginner Looking for Climbing Mentors


ascasson

Posted by ascasson on Mar 8, 2012
Page Views: 422

Activity Details

Date: Anytime
Location: Oregon, United States
City or Place: Oregon, US
Skill Level: Beginner
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

Hi everyone,

I'm returning to my mountaineering desires, which I have left unattended for a dozen years. Ideally, I'd like to chat with someone who has climbed some of the Northwest's taller peaks. Technical knowledge would be wonderful, as well as route logistics experience. I need to start somewhere, but I'm not sure where. My questions range from purchasing gear to techniques, and route planning.

I'm 24, athletic, and good at listening to others who are better than me. Hopefully someone will be interested enough to shoot me a message and let the conversation go where it may.

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

Post a Comment

CalCascades

Cal

Tips? Jump in with M.S.Helen's or Theilson or S. Sister, wearing layers. These peaks don't need any special gear (not really even an ax tho I always bring) unless you go in winter. Next, move on up to Adams, Hood or Shasta via the easiest routes (s.Side, s.side, avalanche gulch) and rent a pair of strap-ons to put over the boots you normally hike in (unless you're going in winter). If you want to go up Hood anytime soon, I've been waiting for a good weather window but I'll be going before June to test some gear. As for Helens, you can go anytime to get your feet wet but Mother's Day will be the biggest party, sort of a tradition to climb in drag :)
Posted Mar 28, 2012 3:01 am

Aaron123Some tips

Aaron123

Buy the best you can afford. You don't want to buy used gear. The saying holds true, "You get your money's worth." Used gear can get you killed, or injured.

Start with a good pair of boots. They should be comfortable, and possibly Gor-tex, if you can afford it. The weather can always change on a dime. Keeping your feet warm can be a matter of saving your life. If you can not walk, you are in serious trouble especially should the worst happen, and your friend/climbing buddy gets hurt, and you need to set off alone to get help. That can happen. You can do everything right, and still bad things can happen.

Water: There are UV water purifiers out on the market now. Use a good wide mouth bottle to purify that water, then transfer it to a hydropack water bladder. Dehydration is a killer in all seasons. Even in winter. You don't have to be in the Death Zone (8,000 meters and up 26,000 FT.). here in America that is not possible though. Water will help keep you warm. 6 liters would be a good amount for most of the cascade mountain range.

Crampons, these can save your life, and make it easier in glaciers/ice. Get the proper type though. For one of the types, you need a hard boot. For Gor-tex boots you would want one that is not a clip type of crampon. REI can help you out. Bring your boot with you, or if you can buy them together.

Trekking poles, they will help save energy, strength, and relieve a lot of pressure from your legs/knees. VERY good to use.

Dress in layers. It is not the best to wear one thick piece of clothing. Gor-tex is a great choice, as it was wicking built in. You would want to have rain gear handy as well.

Buy the best back(s) you can. Snugpak/Proforce equipment is great. I have two, the bergen; and the stamina 40 liter. Both are great. they have two rain covers. They are used by the British military from what I hear, and there slogan is "Tested in War - Never beaten".

Bring a NEW rope every time you go out. And bring a harness alongside locking carabinieres.

bring liquid Advil to help with aching muscles.

Socks: Smart wool, or wool boot socks are the way to go. They help prevent hotspots/blisters.

Work your way up to the hike/climb, by either the gym, or pre-climbs/hikes.

I'll end it here.
Posted May 22, 2012 3:08 am

alpinedonClimbing

alpinedon

Hey man. I am really wanting to climb a lot more this year, and if you look at my page you can see my experience level. I have climbed most of the Cascade Volcanoes. Unfortunately for me, most of my climbing partners have moved away from where I live and now I am needing to find some new partners. Maybe we can work together.
Posted Jan 2, 2013 4:57 pm

 
Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







""

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.