SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

The Blue Ridge Berserkers double peak scramble


Hagen

Posted by Hagen on Oct 14, 2012
Page Views: 398

Activity Details

Dates: Oct 20, 2012 through Oct 21, 2012
City or Place: Scothorn Gap Trailhead, Crisman Hollow Rd, GWNF
Skill Level: Beginner
Categories: Hiking, Social
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

Join us for a day/weekend in the mountains for the fall colors and fun on the rocks!

Strickler Knob and Duncan Knob, near Luray, VA, are two peaks in easy hiking distance of each other with fun rock scrambles and awesome views of the Shenandoah Valley. The trails are moderate, and suitable for all skill levels. We will be hiking at the peak of the fall foliage colors!

This trip will be both a dayhike and an overnight backpack, so all are welcome, regardless of gear and time constraints. If you do plan on doing the overnight, plan on the temperatures hitting 37* to 40* overnight. I will pick the exact camp location that day based on the abilities and gear of those staying overnight.

If you are coming for the dayhike, bring lunch, snacks and 2 liters of water.

If you are staying overnight, you will need lunch, dinner, snacks, breakfast and a gallon of water. Bear bags/vaults are a MUST! A 3-pk of 10"x20" bear bags can be bought at REI for around $12. There are springs and streams, but if you choose that route, you will need some method of purification.

Comments

Post a Comment

HagenStart time

Hagen

I'll be at the trailhead at 9AM. I'll wait until 9:30 for stragglers, and then, I'm heading upward.
Posted Oct 17, 2012 9:08 pm

HagenUpdate

Hagen

I have some work related stuff to tend to on Sunday, so I'm only doing a day hike. If anyone is coming to do an overnight, I'd be more than happy to point out the good camping spots as we go, but I won't be staying the night.

If no one shows up at the Scothorn Gap trailhead, I'll relocate to the Gap Springs trailhead for a shorter but steeper approach to Duncan Knob.
Posted Oct 19, 2012 11:02 pm

HagenUp top

Hagen

My apologies to anyone who showed up at Scothorn Gap Trailhead (you should have RSVP'd). The lot was full, so I parked at Gap Creek Trailhead and headed up. Pics to come.
Posted Oct 20, 2012 11:47 am

 
Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"When Hell freezes over, I'll climb there too!"

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.