SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Camping on the Summit of Whymper/Nanaimo


u2zoo24

Posted by u2zoo24 on Apr 7, 2014
Page Views: 171

Activity Details

Dates: Apr 9, 2014 through Apr 11, 2014
Location: Canada
City or Place: Mount Whymper
Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Categories: Hiking, Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

This Wed April 9th I'm going to approach Mt Whymper before noon and climb to the 1500m+ summit.

Mt Whymper has the distinction of being the tallest mountain in Canada below the 49th.

I was planning on going solo but thought it was time to get to know some other hikers/climbers in the hood.

Weather in the area is supposed to be excellent this week after Tues so one last chance for a little tiny bit of decent winter alpine adventure. Planning on spending a night or two on or near the snowfield near the summit and maybe spend some time hiking alternate routes. Whymper is a fairly easy climb on the southeast route with some class 3 scrambling near the top. No climbing gear required beyond good boots and a lid (maybe a rope wouldn't be stupid). Avalances don't really occur on the mountain. Timberwest technically says theres a fire ban but camp fires in the area are ok at this time of year. I have fires down by the nanaimo river and area year round (except for summer obviously) and have never had any problems. Technically your on timberwest land but the dudes around here couldn't give a............... I live within line of sight of the summit so i'll have radio contact with my gf and possible cell phone reception at summit. Come to my backyard.

Here is a link to summitpost mt wymper hike. Everything you need to know

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-whymper/439368

420 y'all!

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"Health is simply the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.