SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Climbing Mount Rainier, May 9th or 10th 2014


Qmasta1

Posted by Qmasta1 on Mar 29, 2014
Page Views: 312

Activity Details

Date: On May 9, 2014
Location: Washington, United States
City or Place: Rainier, Mount
Skill Level: Beginner
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Will accept Partners

Description

A friend and myself will be climbing Disappointment Cleaver on May 9th or 10th. We are beginners and it will be our first time going to Mount Rainier. This trip is open for anyone wanting to join. We would love to have experienced climbers on this trip. Shoot me a message if you are interested!

Comments

Post a Comment

rbergevineThink twice.

rbergevine

Rainier without experience is dangerous. I don't believe the rangers will give you a permit without the proper gear and know how. If you don't know how to perform crevasse rescue, you're likely to be turned back from going above Camp Muir. The upper mountain is not for beginners w/o a guide service. Each of my trips in the summer of 2010, 2011, & 2012, people died the week before or while we were on the mountain.
Posted Mar 31, 2014 12:04 am

Qmasta1Re: Think twice.

Qmasta1

Hey Rbergevine thanks for your input! I know I am a beginner when it comes to alpine climbing but I feel that Disappoinment Cleaver would be the easiest of the routs when heading to the summit. I am well aware of how to do a crevasse rescue and have the gear. I only hope we can have 3 or more people on the trip as a safety measure when doing a crevasse rescue.
Posted Apr 2, 2014 3:48 am

osgumeroEarly?

osgumero

Not to discourage you but is there a reason you're going so early? I'm not sure what the route is like this year, but that early on the Ingraham direct is often the route of choice over the DC, through early June in some years. The mountain in general is still in more spring climbing conditions in May, Summer climbing conditions, even just a few weeks later in the June time frame are a little more "beginner friendly" for your first time up with the weather and conditions and more people around, especially if you only have a 2 person rope team. My $.02.
Posted Apr 4, 2014 10:38 am

rbergevineEarly II.

rbergevine

I second what Osqumero said. I like climbing the last week of June through the first week of July - conditions are usually quite good. As early as you plan to go, you also run the risk of weather issues. Plenty of teams dont reach the summit due to weather even in June. Early May is even dicier. Not trying to discourage you, but she is a formidable mountain. When you say you know how to do a crevasse rescue, I hope you mean you have actually practiced it in the field. Hanging in and climbing out, as well as anchoring and hauling others out. Knowing how to do it and actually doing it are totally different. It gets real cold in the crevasses really quick. AND your partner(s) need to be equally proficient. Forgive me if you have all the actual experience, but since you said "beginner" I get a bit jittery that you might not appreciate the seriousness of Rainier. Of course, if you get a bluebird day, its quite lovely. I just dont want to see you become a statistic.

As he said, the primary route in that area at tht time will be the ID until is gets squirrelly sometime in early/mid June and then they'll jump over and head up DC.
Wish you well.
Posted Apr 18, 2014 4:49 pm

 
Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."   --Mahatma Gandhi   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.