SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Hike ~700 miles around 7 Hawaiian Islands


clintonkerr

Posted by clintonkerr on Apr 4, 2007
Page Views: 606

Activity Details

Date: After Sep 1, 2007
Location: Hawaii, United States
City or Place: Honolulu
Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Categories: Hiking
Partner Status: Will accept Partners

Description

This is a trip I am preparing for which will involve planning and carrying into execution a route around the Hawaiian islands of Ni'ihau (~40mi), Kauai (~83mi), Oahu (~90mi), MoloKai (~70mi), Lanai (~42mi), Maui (~100mi), and Hawaii (~260mi). Not all of the areas specified have designated trails or parks, and so there will be a large degree of creative camping necessary. I expect to have to rely to some degree on the generosity of the local residents to pitch a tent in agricultural areas (with their permission). This trip is not meant to push one to their physical limits, though it will have many challenging elements, but is rather an opportunity to expand ones ability to survive effectivly in a mixture of wild and rural environments. Note that this trip will also require procurement of transportation between islands with a flexible time schedule. I plan to try to begin this trip sometime in September of 2007. It will not be a typical trail hike, and flexibility will be of utmost importance.

Along with trying to find potential partners, I am also hoping to to get some expert opinions on the feasability of hiking in areas with limited park-space. Is it reasonble to expect to be able to find accomidation in someones lawn/field in exchange for a couple hours of free labor in the evening/morning? I have no experience with this sort of arrangement, but thought someone else might have done something similar. If so, I would love to hear any advice on the topic.

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"A tautology is a thing that is tautological."

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.