SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Partner wanted for Chile adventure


jamesosborn

Posted by jamesosborn on Mar 4, 2011
Page Views: 938

Activity Details

Date: After Mar 4, 2011
Location: Chile
City or Place: Santiago
Skill Level: Intermediate
Categories: Hiking, Ice Climbing, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Social
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

I will be based in Santiago, Chile for the next two years and are looking for people to go adventuring with. I am always keen to get into the mountains if I can get time off or even just cragging or pub climbing talk. I am not great but I am keen and competent. I have climbed in the Alps up to D, scottish mixed IV, sport 6b and trad VS.

Comments

Post a Comment

SiggiSoleyjarClimbing in South America

SiggiSoleyjar

Hi there buddy,

I am marooned here in Buenos Aires, weird developments, and sometimes I feel like I am living in one of those Snakes and Ladders board games, and I keep getting sent back to Buenos Aires, and there just seems no way to avoid it.

I will be here a lot until next summer, at least.

I am looking for partners to climb with in South America, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and such, interested in anything from rock climbing, ice climbing, even scuba diving, any sort of trekking or travel, skydiving will even work for me, just got to get out there, and away from the city.

Prior experience worth mentioning is Mont Blanc (2008,) Aconcagua (solo, Ruta Normal, 2009) Denali (Mt. Mckinley - West Buttress twice - 2010 and 2011, more or less solo) some experience with Ice Climbing (Iceland, not much, but relatively strong and willing to push it) and some experience on rock, (sport climbing, limited to maximum 5.11a - but dedicated to push myself, mostly climbed in Thailand and Mexico on rock.)

Also, been travelling the world for two decades, Africa, Middle and Far East and South America, usually off the beaten path.

Very good knowledge of navigation, expedition planning, weather, glacier travel, crevasse rescue, belaying and such, relatively strong physically and mentally, and totally dedicated.

Future goals are Pakistan - Broad Peak (2012 or 2013,) Nepal - Manaslu (Cho Oyu seems to be out of the picture, due to political reasons) or similar (2012 or 2013) and Everest (2013 or 2014.)

I might be on The Polish Glacier route on Aconcagua in December/January, need the exercise, and I am interested in the Cordillera Blanca in Peru, especially Mt. Alpamayo.

I am also open to other ideas, even jungle trekking.

Send wisdom at once,

Regards,

Siggi - Buenos Aires
Posted Jun 20, 2011 3:43 pm

kholodenkoMountaineering near Santiago
Hey James,
I saw your post, I will be climbing and trekking down in Patagonia for several months starting in October, but will be up near you in Santiago at the end of December, and the middle of March.
I would love to find someone to do at least a few peaks with, I was thinking specifically of Tupungato, it is less than 50 miles from santiago but at 6570 m (~21,500 feet). It is not a particularly difficult climb, although it does involve crampon and ice axe use.

Tell me if you'd be interested.
-Aaron
Posted Aug 25, 2011 3:09 pm

jamesosbornRe: Mountaineering near Santiago

jamesosborn

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for replying! Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you, I have been away for the last week. I would certainly be interested in joining up. I do not know anything of Tupungato but I would be up for giving it a go. I will need to get time off work, but maybe that will not be so hard in December. You probably do not have any firm plans yet but if you could tell me some dates when you might be around I will start looking into time off! I have a 3 week trip planed from 22nd Nov to 15 dec. Any chance you will be around then?

Cheers,
J.
Posted Aug 30, 2011 3:44 pm

pksanderClimbing and trekking in South America

pksander

Hi Siggi, Aaron, and James,

I'm in the process of planning a long (6 or 9 month) solo trip to Central and South America, beginning with Costa Rica and Nicaragua in the November. I have no timelines to speak of at this point, but after a month or two more in Central America (I just got back from Guatemala), I plan on starting my way down South, staying a month here and there in spots that grab my fancy and spending my time trekking, climbing, trail running, and studying Spanish. I'd also like to do some volunteering if good opportunities arise...

Anyway, just wanted to give you all a shout and to see if you'd be willing to let me know if any plans come together or discussions thereto. I'm really just beginning to look over guide books and the like, so I have little idea of what I'd like to do, although Peru, Bolivia, and Chile are where I imagine I'll spend the bulk of my time...

I've done a fair bit of mountaineering in my time, although the last 7 years I've been taken by the ultrarunning bug that has been running wild here in the States (and particularly Colorado), so my mountaineering skills might be a bit rusty, but I'm sure they'd return soon enough!

Please keep me in the loop!

Cheers,
Peter
Posted Sep 29, 2011 11:53 pm

HomestarhikerChile

Homestarhiker

Hi James,

How long will you be in Santiago? I'll be studying in Valparaiso for the first half of 2013 and I'd like to do as much mountaineering and backpacking as possible. I want to at least to do some climbing in the high Andes and take a multi-week trip through Patagonia.

I spent the last winter in Mendoza, Argentina, but I didn't get to do much outdoors. I did get to climb one of the foothills of Cerro Plata (http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-plata/151992) and I'd really like to make it all the way to the top while I'm down there.

If you'll still be there, let me know if you'd be interested in this or anything else. I'm open to just about anything outdoors.

Stephen
Posted Nov 4, 2011 10:33 pm

jamesosbornRe: Chile

jamesosborn

Hi Stephen,

2013 is still a long way away. To be honest I cant really promise I will still be here then. At the moment it looks as though I will probably leave nov 2012. There is so much to do here I am sure you will be able to find someone to climb with. If you come to visit before 2013 let me know.
James.
Posted Dec 21, 2011 10:20 am

jamesosbornRe: visiting Santiago Dec. 25-31

jamesosborn

Hi Scott,
Unfortunately I will be busy for that week between Christmas and new year. I have to work, rubbish! I can, however, recommend some nice places to go on your own if you need to. I am sure you will be able to find other people to go with if you look around. Let me know if you would like to meet up for a beer at any point.
James.
Posted Dec 21, 2011 10:22 am

jamesosbornChile Adventure

jamesosborn

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all your response. Apart from long weekends I think I am going to be pretty busy until the last week of February, when I would be keen to do something, anything. I have a few ideas if anyone is up for it? Also, if anyone is up for a long weekend let me know, although I am not sure what we can do in 3/4 days in mountaineering terms. Maybe just some good old rock climbing?
Cheers,
James.
Posted Dec 21, 2011 10:25 am

muphamRock Climb

mupham

I'm in Santiago for the next few years and would be amped to get out rock climbing.
Posted Mar 16, 2012 8:48 am

jamesosbornNo longer in Chile, but...

jamesosborn

Hi Guys, I have now left Chile after a couple of amazing years. I managed to get out and about quite a bit so if anyone wants some info or suggestions feel free to message me.
J.
Posted Aug 17, 2012 5:25 am

 
Viewing: 1-10 of 10


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"Efficiency is intelligent laziness."

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.