SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.

Peru 2011


Posted by rgg on Dec 30, 2010
Page Views: 1228

Activity Details

Dates: May 1, 2011 through Aug 31, 2011
City or Place: Peru
Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners


At the moment I'm in the early stages of preparing for an extended trip to Peru, from May to August 2011. My itinerary isn't fixed yet. I'm considering starting in the south, around Arequipa and Cuzco, for acclimatization and the first few climbs, and head to Huaraz after that.

Near Cuzco I would like to climb Ausangate, and in the Cordillera Blanca of course Huascaran, but as I have plenty of time, I hope to climb many, many more, especially in the Cordillera Blanca.
I'm dreaming about Yerupaja too, but I'm afraid that that one is beyond my capabilities, unless conditions are really, really favorable.

Since 4 months is a long time, I just might pop over the border to Chile, Bolivia or Ecuador at some point, if only to get around visa restrictions. Besides, I have some unfinished business on Chimborazo and on Sajama.

Drop me a line if you plan to be in the neighborhood, maybe we can climb something together!


Post a Comment



Hi my name is Nico and I'm planing a 6 weeks trip to Bolivia in late July 2011. My gal is to climb as many 6000 m peaks as i can, these four are the main goal Illampu, Ancohuma Chachacomani and Chearoco. I do not want to use a guide service so i am looking for partners. If you are interested in climbing any of these peaks or others in the area let me know my plan is flexible.
Posted Jan 5, 2011 5:17 pm

rggRe: Hi


Hi Nico,

It looks like our timing is off a bit.

By the middle of June or so, I hope to arrive in the Cordillera Blanca and do a whole lot of climbing there, and that's not exactly close to Bolivia.

If I do pop over the border to Bolivia at some point, that would most likely be around May or early June, when I'm still in the south. The most likely areas of interest for me would be the Cordillera Apolabamba or the Cordillera Occidental, but I don't rule out the Cordillera Real and Chachacomani and Chearoco would indeed be interesting. I've already climbed Ancohuma and Illampu. A lot of fun, but generally, I rather climb new mountains (or routes) than repeat myself.

Plans can change though and if they do, I'll send you a message.

Posted Jan 7, 2011 7:16 am

msellis62If you end up in Bolivia


If you go earlier let me know. I try to hit early season myself. Going to Bolivia and hanging around Condoriri massif in Bolivia. Trying the siouth face of Ala Izquierda, Cabeza and maybe the right wing to of the massif , I go to SA everyyear. Have any questions about Huaraz area just ask. Michael
Posted Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

dakPeru Cordillera Blanca


Hi, My name is Dave from Sandy, Utah. I am planning a trip to the Cordillera Blanca in Peru from July 3 to July 24. I would like to take a short trek to acclimatize and climb 2 or 3 intermediate 6,000 meter peaks Yannapacha, Tocclarju, and /or Chopicalqui.

I signed up with a US guide company last summer, but the trip was canceled, due to low numbers. This year I am thinking about a local guide - they will run a trip with just one if you are willing to pay.

It's more affordable with two or three. I am hoping to join a group, but at this point, I am just planning to go on my own and see what works out. My dates are definite, as I will be taking a tour of Peru with my wife immediately afterwards.

I do a lot of climbing and backpacking in the west on my own, but I'm thinking it's worth it to pay for a guide in Peru. If this sounds of interest to you, send me a Privatel Message at dak.

Posted Feb 3, 2011 9:38 pm



Do you have the dates you'll be there? I'm planning on being in Peru myself, in a few months.
Posted Feb 15, 2011 1:01 pm

rggRe: HI



Some of the details are getting clearer. I've posted an update, with dates, see below.

Posted Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

rggAn update on Peru 2011


It's been a while, so here's an update. Please bear in mind that it's still a plan, subject to change.

First of all, the original plan still stands, but coming into shape a bit more.

For starters, it's still the south of Peru, around Arequipa and Cuzco. A few weeks of sightseeing, hiking and climbing some easy peaks. The main goal is to take time to acclimatize properly, and have fun in the process. Still working on finding partners for this part, but otherwise there are some easy mountains that I can do by myself (or, even better, with an arriero). I'm also still keeping an open mind about popping over the border to Bolivia for up to two weeks - Sajama would be nice, but definitely not solo - but going there in May might be a bit early. The Cordillera Apolabamba would be another logical possibility, either from Peru or from Bolivia. Anyway, I want to be in Cuzco by early June.

From early June, the plan is taking shape nicely. The exact date is not yet fixed, but I've found a partner for Ausangate and we'll take two weeks for that. While that's more than neccesary in ideal conditions, the spare days give a much better chance of success, and should climbing Ausangate work out perfectly, there are enough other mountains nearby to make good use of the spare days.

Around June 20 or so, depending a bit on when we start and how things go on Ausangate, I expect to arrive in Huaraz. I'm in contact with several people about the Cordillera Blanca and have concluded that there is quite a bit of interest in that area - who knows, we might even organize an SP-gathering there! It looks like there will be other SP-ers for the better parts of June and July.

That leaves August. Nothing definite yet. Unless conditions are quite poor in the Cordillera Blanca, I'm still counting on finding partners for the Cordillera Blanca (or nearby Huayhuash), at the latest in Huaraz itself.

If conditions are poor in Peru by the end of August and things look better elsewhere, I'll adapt.

Finally a note on the end date: I'm looking for a ticket with a flexible return date. I still plan to return by the end of August, but like to have the option of staying longer. Then again, I might be too tired to do that, hard to tell. While the weather in the Cordillera Blanca in September/October might not be too good anymore, there are plenty of options further south, notably all over the Cordillera Occidental in Peru, Chile and Bolivia.

Posted Feb 17, 2011 4:49 pm

benjo100Re: An update on Peru 2011
Hi All

If you do decide to come to Peru or bolivia early give us a shout. I will be here until the end of April. Realise its not the best time weather wise but its the only oppurtunity work wise I had. I have summited Alpuymo Pequeno and huaya Potasi in the Cordillera real in Bolivia. We were turned back on Illamani due to the weather - heavy snow.

I am hoping to go to Aconcagua next - follwed by Sajama end of March and then Cordirri in April and some other peaks in the Tuni area. If there is anyone keen or if you arrive early I would be willing to go to Peru. let me know folks. Apparently in April the weather is great and there are no crowds.

Posted Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm

AndinistalocoRe: An update on Peru 2011


Nice! I should be climbing in the Cordillera Blanca from 6/10-6/27 or so. Not sure which peaks yet, as that can always change... but Artesonraju is a possibility during that time frame.

Posted Mar 3, 2011 6:03 pm




My wife and I are planning to climb chachani next week. If you like to join you can send me an email. ferdinandverboom(at)hotmail.com.
Posted Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

rggAnother update on Peru 2011


Things didn´t always go as planned, but the results were quite satisfactory nonetheless, and I´ve arrived in Huaraz now.

Unless climbing conditions there take a turn for the worse, I expect to stay in the region until I return home near the end of August.
Posted Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm



I just sent you a PM about Huascaran in mid July.
Now I also noticed that you're "unfinnished" business on Sajama might be solved by linking up with me in late August !
Posted Jun 24, 2011 10:44 pm

rggLast (?) update on Peru 2011


August is approaching rapidly by now. I´ve hiked and climbed in the south, not always as planned but had a good time anyway, and succeeded on Ausangate. Since the middle of June or so I´m in Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca, and up to the end of July my calendar is full right now.

The two mountains at the lop of my list, so to speak, are Huascaran Sur and Chopicalqui, both via the normal route. Ideally, I would like to start climbing them on July 31 or early August, back to back - well, perhaps with one rest day in between - I found one strong porter with glacier skills already, but I´m still looking for a partner (and another porter probably). I´ve been above high camp on both already and don´t need a guide for the last few hundred meters. Other options would be to climb just one of them, or first climb Yanapaccha before moving on to the higher ones.
Posted Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Viewing: 1-13 of 13

Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.


© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.