SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Picos de Europa


jay_1964

Posted by jay_1964 on Apr 27, 2006
Page Views: 445

Activity Details

Dates: Jun 4, 2006 through Jun 15, 2006
Location: Spain
City or Place: Picos de Europa
Skill Level: Intermediate
Categories: Hiking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing
Partner Status: Don't want Partners

Description

Planning a trip to the Picos de europa in June, taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao. Want to do something adventurous but will not plan anything definite until we arrive. The weather is supposed to be changable and often wet. Is this true?

Advice on routes and places to stay would be welcome.

Comments

Post a Comment

Damian in AsturiasWeather in Picos

Damian in Asturias

Hi,
I live here in Asturias and the weather is certainly very changeable, you could think of it as almost British. Even in June the Picos can be absolutely freezing, given a bad day's weather with wind chill thrown in. Two British walkers died there this winter. So Goretex etc a must.
When you arrive buy the Adrados maps of the Picos, they are superbly detailed and show possible routes.
The place to stay is probably Cangas de Onis, or Arenas de Cabrales. The former a bigger town but further away from the more remote peaks, the latter smaller and closer to the remoter peaks.
Posted May 10, 2006 8:35 am

jay_1964Re: Weather in Picos

jay_1964

Damian

Thankyou for your advise.
We have booked a place on the ferry in order that I can fill the car with gear. I will make sure we have cold / wet weather gear. I have purchased the Adrados maps of the Picos which as you say are detailed. As its my first time to the area I feel we should try something from the cable car at Fuente De by way of an introduction. I may try staying at Arenas after staying somewhere to the south of the Picos.
Posted May 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Damian in AsturiasGetting here

Damian in Asturias

By the way, Ryanair fly to Santander from Stansted, and EasyJet to Oviedo from the same airport. Both cities within two hours' drive of the Picos.
Posted May 10, 2006 8:38 am

 
Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."   --Peter Gibbons (Office Space)   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.