SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Snow Lake-Lukpe La-Hispar La August 2013


torotaxi

Posted by torotaxi on Jun 1, 2013
Page Views: 739

Activity Details

Dates: Aug 1, 2013 through Aug 25, 2013
City or Place: Snow Lake Pakistan
Skill Level: Intermediate
Categories: Hiking, Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

Hi all

I am one person organising a trek to Snow Lake (Sim Gang Glacier) via the Lukpe La, Hispar La and Hispar glacier. You will be trekking across the longest glaciers outside of the polar regions in the vicinity of several 8000m peaks and 100s of peaks over 7000m. The place is extremely remote and beautiful and you won’t be fighting against other trekkers to find a place to sleep!

I have arranged an itinery with an agency in Pakistan of which we are already a group of 2 confirmed group members, though this is likely to rise as I have had interest from another website. As I am a budget traveller I have negotiated a good price but this depends if we get 4 people or more. It is an expedition style trek with porters carrying loads (personal luggage up to 15kgs), with mess tent and all meals provided.

There are 2 possible routes but as i only have 25 days in Pakistan I am veering towards the shorter route or the other is the classic route from Shimshal - Shimshal Pass - Chikor - Braldu glacier - Lukpe La - Snow Lake - Hispar La - Hispar glacier. The shorter route is to leave from Askole and head up the Panma glacier to Panma - Simkang - Lukpe La - Snow Lake - Hispar La - Hispar Glacier - Hunza. The Lukpe La is not too difficult and so no high altitude porters are needed and offers fantastic views of Snow Lake and the Braldu glacier. The plan is then to head down to the Simgang basin otherwise know as Snow Lake which was described by Francis Younghusband as the “finest mountain scenery to behold”.

We then cross the Hispar La (5100m) and spend the night there to wake up with fantastic views of the Ogre and back towards the Biafo glacier.

Check the videos out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNAH7Fwt2LM

http://www.thegreatcrossing.net/

This is one of the finest treks in the world and is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

All the best

Andy

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."   --Mahatma Gandhi   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.