SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

SPRINGTIME IN HIMALAYAS unclimbed route


himalayson

Posted by himalayson on Feb 12, 2007
Page Views: 713

Activity Details

Dates: Mar 30, 2018 through May 1, 2018
City or Place: Bandarpoonch
Skill Level: Intermediate
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Need Partners

Description

Bandarpoonch 21,720' ,Unclimbed route on the western edge of the high Himalayas. Intermediate snow skills, needs to be in good shape. This is my backyard. Approximately $2200 from usa! See my Summitpost.

Bandarpoonch is an exquisite peak in the Western Himalayas of North India. It stands at the edge of the High Himalayan Range at an altitude of 20,720’ (6316 m.) and is easily accessible with a scenic three-day hike. The Southwest ridge offers a route of moderate difficulty no technical climbing to 17,500' The ridge approach has 5 stages; several rock snow pitches depending on snowcover, some glacier travel , summit ridge to ice pack, traverse to ice cap at 20k, 200' of moderate ice to summit. The expedition can be successfully concluded in 18 days in good conditions with a strong team from the staging and acclimatization area.

The approach hike is one of spectacular beauty. From lush national forest of Rhododendron, Oak and Spruce and grassy cliffs to snow capped peaks and terraced fields of Agora village – this will be a trip that lingers long in your memory.

We will enjoy the hospitality and culture of the people of Uttaranchal. We will relax by the lushly forested pristine jewel that is DodiTal lake at 10,000’ and feed on it’s succulent brown trout.

We will thrill to the sights and sounds of wildlife – the iridescent Monal Pheasant, the Langur monkey, longhaired mountain goat or barking deer. We will revel in the panoramic view from Darwa Pass and breathe pure rarified air. We will marvel at the fluorescent spring flowers of the alpine meadows and savor the refreshing hard mineral water of mountain springs.

Finally we will exult in the accomplishment of standing on the western edge of the roof of the world. We will experience an exhilaration that will stay with us and we will be forever changed. Then we will celebrate and relax in the healing waters of Gangnani hot springs.

Your Partner is Mark Hackney. I was raised in the Indian Himalayas from the age of 3, a total of 20 years, so I can really help provide for a smoother mountaineering experience there. I speak the language like a native and experienced very close cultural bonding from the beginning and have friends in this area.
Growing up at 7,000’ in the Himalayas climbing came naturally, as did a love for the outdoors. I won the Laurie Campbell Memorial Hiking Trophy. I pioneered river rafting there in the 60’s and hang-gliding in the 70’s. I have climbed summits over 5,000 m. in Garhwal, some never climbed before and pioneered new routes. I have broad knowledge of the flora and fauna of the area and a deep appreciation for the people and culture. I know if you join me we will have a most memorable and historic climb together.

Comments

Post a Comment

polo30mountaineering

polo30

my self uttam a high altitude mountain guide from uttaranchal have climbed this peak several times so if you want any kind[of informations regarding this peak i can help you a lot.
For detail informations you can mail me or contact with me over phone.
Thanks
uttam
09897784245
Posted Oct 18, 2007 11:00 am

gebennettinterest

gebennett

are you still planning this climb
thanks geoff
Posted Jan 11, 2008 12:36 am

 
Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







""

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.