SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Uintas: Allsop Lake, Mt Beulah, The Cathedral


achillesgallahad

Posted by achillesgallahad on Jul 29, 2010
Page Views: 447

Activity Details

Date: On Aug 17, 2010
Location: Utah, United States
City or Place: Kamas
Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
Categories: Hiking, Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

Is anyone interested in a trip to Allsop Lake in the Uintas? The trail I am looking at would be 8.5 miles or so both ways (East Fork Bear River Trail to the Left Hand Fork Trail. Allsop Lake is quite scenic and surrounded by some cliff walls. This would give us a good base camp to climb Mt Beulah, The Cathedral, and Yard Peak. I am going to go the 17th-19th of August, which is a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and if anyone can make those days work, company would be great. I am thinking day 1 will be a hike in and weather permitting a climb of Yard for the sunset. Day 2 will be Beulah and some of the ridge-line to the South very early to watch the sunrise hit the Cathedral, then a climb down, short rest and hit Cathedral before the storms. Day 3 would be the hike out, or if we were rained out on Day 2, an early ascent to Cathedral.

I have an all season tent which will hold 2 people comfortably and a waterproof bivvy sack, so up to two people could come even if you do not have a tent. I have a small alcohol stove best for one person, but it could serve 2 or even 3 if you don't have to eat within 5 minutes of sitting down. Sorry I know the days are weird but that is when I have off work. I don't normally use ropes or helmets for climbing so you would need those if you want to use them. I am not opposed to them. I was planning to bring rock shoes as Cathedral looks like it will involve some climbing and Beulah might also. I expect all snow and ice will be gone. I would call it intermediate, but to some it might be more advanced than they want. I think it will be more than a "scramble" to either peak. There is no pressure to do the peaks, so if anyone wants to just hike out and fish or read or kick up their heels while I go do the peaks that would be welcome too.

Carpooling would be wise. I am fine driving my car, but if you are someone who needs to pass every car and go over the speed limit you might go crazy as a passenger with me.

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"All science is either physics or stamp collecting."   --Ernest Rutherford   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.